FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by triplus »

AR795 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:25 pm There were a couple more options in the wiki, but I didn't include it ;) . The information is indeed quite a lot and I can see that it would not be a good experience for newcomers. Maybe the information can be condensed further or perhaps its best to leave all that info in the wiki and provide a link to it.
I would vote for adding an additional link to the Wiki. Maybe a link from an additional box of the same style located above or under the 3 columns. And maybe having an "important icon", signaling the link should be clicked. On the Wiki to list all options that are currently available. Wiki is easier to edit, for download page i could imagine we will need to have links adjusted for each point release, likely monthly! ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:11 pm Wiki is easier to edit, for download page i could imagine we will need to have links adjusted for each point release, likely monthly! ;)
This could be easily automated with a script with commit access to FreeCAD-Website
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vejmarie

Post by vejmarie »

AR795 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:44 pm I visited the snap store at https://snapcraft.io/freecad and noticed that the developer website link points to freecad.org and not freecadweb.org, perhaps a typo?
we should ping @vejmarie
vejmarie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:13 pm Hello,
Let me dig a little bit more futher, to enhance all of that. I made that build because I received request from end users to get it initially done.

vejmarie
[/quote]

I have just updated this typo sorry about it !
AR795

Post by AR795 »

So yeah, the downloads page is back to 3 platforms and now each platform has links to the wiki for more instructions https://sharazali.github.io/FreeCAD-Hom ... loads.html
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looks good. Maybe i would delete this section completely (remove bloat and to focus on download experience):
Please note that FreeCAD has still not reached a version 1.0 status in our view, and might not be ready for production use. Nevertheless multitudes of users use it. To find out if FreeCAD is appropriate for your project, please check out the FreeCAD forum. To find out what's new, see the release notes. You will find SHA256 checksums (to verify integrity of your download) and Windows portable versions on the 0.17 Release page on GitHub. (Older portable builds have been pruned. Availability will return in the future)
As we have top navigation bar offering such information already, like link to forum. And in another discussion we have somehow decided we won't be warning people against using FreeCAD anymore. As we consider we have reached version 1.0 already, now we just have to figure out on how to make that a reality and for the actual number to start being reflected in the real world. I would add this:
For distro-specific instructions, such as Ubuntu PPA, and other ways to install on Linux, please check out the wiki.
As some wanted for the PPA to be explicitly mentioned on the download page. Below i see you added a link to FreeCAD releases page and verbose description is provided over there already.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

AR795 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:47 pm So yeah, the downloads page is back to 3 platforms and now each platform has links to the wiki for more instructions https://sharazali.github.io/FreeCAD-Hom ... loads.html
We are pretty close to a 0.18 release, if you get a chance could you do a version bump and make a PR for the downloads page?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:29 am We are pretty close to a 0.18 release, if you get a chance could you do a version bump and make a PR for the downloads page?
Yes, no problem. I will update the links according to those on https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Download.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

AR795 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:21 pm Here is the PR https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage/pull/37.
Merged and uploaded, thank you!
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:12 pm Merged and uploaded, thank you!
Welcome :)