FreeCAD Website Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by kkremitzki »

It might be good to add some sort of icon to indicate that 'community' is a dropdown menu.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

I added the dropdown icon next to 'Community'. Here's how it looks now https://sharazali.github.io/FreeCAD-Homepage/.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Yes, good idea @kkremizki
Nice job @AR795
:+1: from me
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Nice.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hello,

We are nearing the announcement for the 0.18 release, binaries are still missing but on the way.

I would like to propose a change on the Download page. In my opinion, we put too much emphasis on the AppImage; it is not the only way to install FreeCAD on Linux, FC 0.18 is already available on the Snapcraft store (thus the Ubuntu store) and on Flatpak, not to mention that Ubuntu users aren't even aware that a PPA exists. The Notes below mentions other methods, but they are off screen by default, the visitor has to scroll down, but who will do it with no clear indicator about it?

I would like to see something like this:
FC_website_download_button_linux_01.png
FC_website_download_button_linux_01.png (16.55 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
The "Other options" text (alternate wording proposals welcome) would be a link to either the Notes for GNU/Linux users header lower down the page, or a link to the Install on Unix wiki page. Of course, colour and shape of the text to be improved. ;)

If we go with an internal link, here's my proposal for changing the header and text; I moved the text about install from official repos to the end, since this is usually the least desirable option due to an outdated package.
Installing on GNU/Linux

The AppImage above will work on most recent Linux distributions, mark it as executable and launch it without installation. FreeCAD is also available from our own PPA repository for Ubuntu, as a snap package in the Ubuntu App store, as well as on Flathub. FreeCAD can also be installed from most Linux distributions official repositories, but the version they provide might be quite dated and be missing many features.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Your proposal is already a major improvement, but I would go even further. It still looks as if the Appimage is the recommended way of installing on Linux, while I think it should be the ppa. So I would like to see the Appimage at least on par with the ppa, perhaps with a fourth button, one for "Linux install from repository" and one for "Linux standalone version".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

I think we should also offer the Conda Py3/Qt5 option under windows button choices.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I've said it before, but I think the Krita/Blender folks have it down pat.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:02 am I would go even further. It still looks as if the Appimage is the recommended way of installing on Linux, while I think it should be the ppa.
But the PPA is only for Ubuntu, Linux Mint and derivatives. It is not compatible with all the other distros.