Glass

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Glass

Post by triplus »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:14 am Nice! I don't see why not to the background functionality but I think it should use the color of the user defined stylesheet not a specif one.
I guess people see the setup @OficineRobotica has and want that, after installing Glass module. As it involves only setting up a few parameters i guess best to just do that for now and to provide the opt-out option. And listen to the feedback.
Btw: have you seen realthunders's overlay mode? It's inspired by this module: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=45349
Yes i have seen it. I guess Glass module in C++. Direct collaboration hence likely doesn't make much sense but the concepts can for sure be reused in between projects. I will likely implement all the things that were discussed in this thread and that will be that. In addition i noticed new people came and started developing Python and C++ UX/UI functionality for FreeCAD. That in the end is good enough for me and i will leave the spotlight to them. I still plan to mature the modules i have started in the past and most of my FreeCAD related efforts will from now go into achieving that goal.

P.S. One question. When a spreadsheet window is opened it was mentioned the overlay gets in the way. Any ideas on what should happen? Hide it? But then tree isn't available anymore for possible selection?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I vote for just setting the glass mode off or perhaps make it configurable since some might prefer to just access the tree from the Combo View in that situation.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

When updating to the latest changes, Glass module should now set some defaults, as seen in @OficineRobotica video, on the first run. Tree view is now the default dock widget, enabled on the first (Glass module) run. Note that the second restart of FreeCAD might be needed, for Tree view to get enabled. I enabled grouped dragging. When opening a Spreadsheet, Tree view should now be hidden automatically.
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

Thank you @Triplus for the update. Unfortunately due to the pandemic situation and work I'vd been away from Freecad and pretty much from the pc lately and allot of side projects have been postponed.

I just need some quick clarifications because I haven't had the time to dig in to it.

1-Does this update make my last tutorial redundant? That is: the user is asked of what preferences they want on first install or tree view and color are set as default instead of the old behavior?

2-Is it now possible to plug a styleshhet specifically for glass?(even tough transparency value , blur and text shadow still can't be set there because of how QT works)

3-The fact that the independent treeview is disabled in the default appimage is still a problem or the addon takes care of that?
I will try and look into it, time permitting and do a better presentation/tutorial of the module in the following days.
Thank you so much for your hard work.
Cheers
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @OficineRobotica

Yes, the gist of the tutorial is now applied automatically.

P.S. As for the rest, i am currently not sure on what makes the most sense, due to "Glass++" emerging. Will decide what makes the most sense in the following month.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Please make it work with Text-Documents (Tools->Add text document) and spreadsheets
With glass a Text-Document looks like:
Screenshot from 2020-05-25 12-19-30.png
Screenshot from 2020-05-25 12-19-30.png (108.92 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
Screenshot from 2020-05-25 12-19-26.png
Screenshot from 2020-05-25 12-19-26.png (131.93 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Have you updated? Latest version auto hides when editing text and spreadsheets.
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

adrianinsaval wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:57 pm Have you updated? Latest version auto hides when editing text and spreadsheets.
Thanks, your are right. After an update everything works as intended.
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

triplus wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:36 am ...
P.S. As for the rest, i am currently not sure on what makes the most sense, due to "Glass++" emerging. Will decide what makes the most sense in the following month.
Glass++ => Whats that?

If 'Glass' manages to keep the 'TreeView' from hiding selectable parts as much as possible, 'Glass' would be my favorite ...

BR
Walter
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
Roribez

Post by Roribez »

Hi.
I made some improvements on Glass autohide and resize behaviours.

I made autohide and resize functions connected to signals from DockWidgets visibility changes and subwindow changes. Whenever a FCMacro-editor or a not-3D-view is selected (e.g. spreadsheet), signal is sent to hide treeview. This makes it instantaneously hidden or shown. Also, when any dockwidget gets shown or hidden (e.g. report view at the main window bottom), signal is sent to resize treeview, avoiding overlap.

Also fixed the show/hide behaviour of tree view. Before, when it was told to hide, it would right away show up again, automatically.

Also, added hability to remember treeview visibility status in 3D-view subwindows. So, when it is autohidden in a spreadsheet for example, upon returning to 3D-view it will remember if it was shown or hidden.

I like to use the Report View in glass style also, as shown in the picture below. I prefer it this way, so the Report view won't bother me poping up all the time and it won't take so much space on the screen. So, attached are the files for the two versions: Tree view glass only and Tree+Report view glass.

POST EDIT: I'm attaching modified version of GlassGui.py here.
POST EDIT 2: Attaching modified version2 (bug fixes)
POST EDIT 3: Attaching modified v3 (more bug fixes) and option with Report view also in glass style.
GlassGui-modified_v3.py
(7.95 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
GlassGui-modified_v3_including Report view.py
(9.52 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
FCscreenreportviewglass.jpg
FCscreenreportviewglass.jpg (27.44 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
Last edited by Roribez on Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:00 am, edited 4 times in total.