COIL iconTheme

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: COIL iconTheme

Post by chrisb »

It would be great to have some kind of easy installation. This theme looks very promising, especially for small icons.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

chrisb wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:38 pm It would be great to have some kind of easy installation. This theme looks very promising, especially for small icons.
I've spotted that small icons is mostly raster pixel art in most of software, but yes, it can help at least with shapes.
In theory, it will be easier to make small icons having COIL vector base.

Some news - Outlined version of Blender's icons has been declined by design
https://devtalk.blender.org/t/2-8-outli ... ation/6620

Also - interesting solution in Cryengine UI
There are a lot of different grey correlations, and all of them are looking good.
Subtle Masterpiece.
Interesting that even grey icons in Selection panel are looking quite readable.
Background is also darker than in FreeCAD dark theme.
(Currently Dark Blue COIL set is released a bit darker, for better support darker background)

Cryengine.png
Cryengine.png (139.78 KiB) Viewed 2164 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

1D_Inc wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:56 pm Well, today is a big day.
We released COIL Icon theme files, addon and sources on Github, and started polishing procedure

https://github.com/formjune/1D_SVG_Tools
Congratulations!

Two remarks. Tools like SVG icon slicer will likely be used by different people in the future. Standalone repository therefore likely makes the most sense (without containing icon packs). As for the icon packs. Better if you don't provide them in a .zip archives. Uncompressed icons in folders is a better strategy. Anybody can view (on GitHub) or edit (create PR) them with ease after. Git is efficient when downloading deltas and people downloading icons directly from GitHub will get icon files packed in a .zip archive by default.
We faced with problems to organize index.theme and COIL.qrc files because I failed to understand what is needed to be provided there.
As far as I understand, these files contain not a complete library of FreeCAD icons yet.
Will test the icon packs during the week and will provide more info on that after. For now the primary goal i guess should be icon packs in .rcc format to be provided here (or on COIL icon theme(s) dedicated repository releases page):

https://github.com/formjune/1D_SVG_Tools/releases

People can after start downloading the .rcc files, put them in appropriate location (/home/user_name/.FreeCAD/Gui/Icons/demo.rcc on Linux) and enable an individual icon pack with the IconThemes module. After much more feedback can start to be provided from different people. In addition i will start progressing icon themes support in FreeCAD 0.19 further (beyond toolbars).
yorik wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:48 pm Excellent! I guess we could easily make it directly installable via the addon manager (it would basically clone the whole repo under .FreeCAD/Mod). Then we should modify Triplus's theme manager to check for that location too...
The main problem i guess is managing .rcc files. In theory .rcc file could be added to the repository directly. And for IconThemes module to look in /Mod folder too. But i feel that on the long run an icon theme repository will serve as a "source code" and releases page to provide binaries (.rcc). We i guess will see on how things will evolve in the future.

P.S. For now the priority is to start providing .rcc files.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Hi!
triplus wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:32 pm Congratulations!
Thank you^^

Two remarks. Tools like SVG icon slicer will likely be used by different people in the future. Standalone repository therefore likely makes the most sense (without containing icon packs). As for the icon packs. Better if you don't provide them in a .zip archives. Uncompressed icons in folders is a better strategy. Anybody can view (on GitHub) or edit (create PR) them with ease after. Git is efficient when downloading deltas and people downloading icons directly from GitHub will get icon files packed in a .zip archive by default.
Well, even if it is initial release, it is still part of research - icon pack is not even complete at the moment.
This is account of my developer, not mine, so we've decided to make it like this.
A bit messy and FreeCAD-related, but enough for current (test) purposes.

Will test the icon packs during the week and will provide more info on that after.
Okay, I'm interested in it. I've seen some icons, that didn't got from source files, their sources yet have to be found.

For now the primary goal i guess should be icon packs in .rcc format to be provided here (or on COIL icon theme(s) dedicated repository releases page):

People can after start downloading the .rcc files, put them in appropriate location (/home/user_name/.FreeCAD/Gui/Icons/demo.rcc on Linux) and enable an individual icon pack with the IconThemes module. After much more feedback can start to be provided from different people. In addition i will start progressing icon themes support in FreeCAD 0.19 further (beyond toolbars).

P.S. For now the priority is to start providing .rcc files.
I am not sure that can help with this))
COIL team consists from Artist(Designer+LISP developer) aka me and Maya python developer aka Github icon hoster.
We have never dealt with creating such things.
What is rcc?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I created a PR:

https://github.com/formjune/1D_SVG_Tools/pull/1

Proposed changes should suffice and you should now be able to create corresponding .rcc files. Looking at provided instructions what is left to do is to compile the result. Note that this process, of compiling, isn't a complex one. What you do need is the rcc tool supporting --binary option. If i remember correctly you said you use Arch Linux? On Arch Linux rcc tool is a part of the qt5-base package. Make sure it is installed and do a simple test in the terminal:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/rcc --binary
This should return result such as "No input files specified." and a list of the additional options available. After use:

cd
/usr/bin/rcc --binary /path_to/COIL_DB.qrc -o COIL_DB.rcc
/usr/bin/rcc --binary /path_to/COIL_LB.qrc -o COIL_LB.rcc
/usr/bin/rcc --binary /path_to/COIL_LA.qrc -o COIL_LA.rcc
If newer version of rcc tool is used and to preserve support for Qt4 and older Qt5 versions (likely versions below Qt 5.9). Use the --format-version option:

cd
/usr/bin/rcc --binary /path_to/COIL_DB.qrc -o COIL_DB.rcc --format-version 1
/usr/bin/rcc --binary /path_to/COIL_LB.qrc -o COIL_LB.rcc --format-version 1
/usr/bin/rcc --binary /path_to/COIL_LA.qrc -o COIL_LA.rcc --format-version 1
That is basically it. You should have three .rcc files in your home folder and this is what should get uploaded to the releases page:

P.S. People can download the .rcc files and follow the instructions on how to start testing and using such icon theme packs (and provide some feedback). The process is a bit more complex, compared to the "legacy" option, but you should start noticing the benefits rather quickly, when using Arch/Draft/Sketcher ... set of commands (toggle and in menus) on toolbars and beyond. Note that after enabling icon theme, one might need to restart FreeCAD, for the changes to take effect.
Last edited by triplus on Mon May 06, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Thank you, we will try to figure it out.
But it is also strange to release not completed pack.
Need info about missing icons.

Also: Tekla Redesign
Tekla 0.jpg
Tekla 0.jpg (275.07 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Tekla 2-2.jpg
Tekla 2-2.jpg (135.72 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Tekla 2.jpg
Tekla 2.jpg (565.32 KiB) Viewed 1981 times

AVEVA Bocad
avv0.jpg
avv0.jpg (118.36 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
aveva bocad2.jpg
aveva bocad2.jpg (179.84 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Last edited by 1D_Inc on Wed May 01, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

We need ability to see entire interace in given icon style to provide complete release.
Now we just guessing how it will look like.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

1D_Inc wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:26 am But it is also strange to release not completed pack.
Creating releases on GitHub is easy. Check the "This is a pre-release" checkbox option for now. Specific (pre) release can get deleted in the future just as easily.

P.S. I tested all 3 icon packs (tested in .rcc format) and i feel that other people should start being able to do the same now. Enabling that therefore should become a priority, things have matured enough. Today i settled on COIL_LA.rcc icon theme and it's interesting, as it didn't take a whole day, for getting used to them, more like an hour. That is associating the commands i use most often with the new icons. Anyway, try out the procedure mentioned above. If you will struggle on something just ask for further assistance. Once you will be able to do a design change, slice, push, compile and upload procedure in a breeze. You and other interested people will for sure consider that as being progress! ;)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:44 pm
1D_Inc wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:26 am But it is also strange to release not completed pack.
Anyway, try out the procedure mentioned above. If you will struggle on something just ask for further assistance.
Sure, I will try, but a bit later.
LA is good, I liked it most of time, but LB is something that goes next, it takes time to get used to.
At least, LB can be adopted to darktheme easier, that's why LA has got no dark variation - I didn't found appropriable satisfying solution for it.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I like a bit of color, that is likely on why i settled with the LA variant for now. Colors like red/orange work good in Ubuntu (dark) menus. LB is good too. DB works good in Ubuntu (dark) menus, but on toolbars it is a bit faded. Obviously, as its purpose is to work good on dark backgrounds. Both LA and LB work good with Light set of stylesheets. Being less conservative on color, that is i guess on why i settled with LA over LB. But personal taste differs and some for sure like variants with less or closer to monocolor. Simple icon theme and alike will hopefully fulfill such demand in the future.
1D_Inc wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:07 pm Sure, I will try, but a bit later.
Till tomorrow, then. ;)