1D_Inc

Re: COIL iconTheme

Post by 1D_Inc » Wed May 13, 2020 1:04 am

adrianinsaval wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:23 pm
1D_Inc wrote:
has this been abandoned? :(
For sure)
I did my best, we found a lot of ideas, conditions and implementation possibilities, but for now this is all I can do.

adrianinsaval

Post by adrianinsaval » Wed May 13, 2020 1:29 am

I don't quite understand what was missing, can you give some details?

triplus

Post by triplus » Wed May 20, 2020 7:26 am

I targeted my work toward the release happening in April and after to start creating some PRs in May, for further enabling icon themes support in FreeCAD. Based on how things stand now, the release could very well be months away, hence i will likely just proceed with the initial plan. Anyway, the plan was to bump this thread too, and to determine possible next steps. A short summary of the current situation:
  • FreeCAD currently has a rather good support for icon themes, when it comes to commands. This will get extended to other areas in the course of next months.
  • There is a FreeCAD module for managing icon themes. Likely it makes sense to upstream it, as a part of next development cycle.
  • There are two FreeCAD icon themes, COIL being the most completed one.
There are still some unknowns, mostly related to on how to manage icon theme packs in the future.

The work @1D_Inc has done goes beyond just creating an icon pack. Basically this effort could result in complete overhaul of the current FreeCAD default icon theme. The main obstacle being, FreeCAD doesn't apply any default style, like for example Blender, and hence icons could look less optimal in some (theming) situations. If we would be in the middle of an effort, such as porting FreeCAD to QML, where i guess desktop integration and icon themes support is still rather poor, compared to Qt Widgets, then we would likely need to set things like default appearance for all platforms. An icon theme like COIL would start to make perfect sense.

Upstreaming COIL. This would be a rather straightforward thing to do. That is to provide an icon theme, such as COIL, by default. Having more than one icon theme provided by default, that increases the upstream maintenance burden and makes it harder for external functionality to gain support.

Installable icon theme packs. This basically already works, but can be made more streamlined. FreeCAD icon packs are rather big, a lot of icons needed, a lot of new functionality added annually. Hence i feel it's safe to assume a small number of high quality icon theme packs is reasonable thing to expect, for now. I am currently not sure if it makes more sense, for designers to have their own repositories, or should there be a more central one, people would create PRs against. Thinking from the maintenance perspective, adding icons over years. There is an additional thing that needs to be taken into consideration. That is a FreeCAD icon theme pack needs to be compiled and redistributed as such. Therefore adding an icon theme to the Addons manager in the same way, as adding a FreeCAD module, that would require some rethinking. AFAIK Addons manager doesn't support downloading binaries from "GitHub Releases", such things will need to be taken into consideration.

In short, now is the decision time. We need to decide, what we want to do next, and after lets do it!

adrianinsaval

Post by adrianinsaval » Wed May 20, 2020 3:46 pm

There is work being done in remaking the addon manager: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p399140
You could ask him to include a method to download releases from github.

st_phan

Post by st_phan » Wed May 20, 2020 5:55 pm

triplus wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:26 am
The work @1D_Inc has done goes beyond just creating an icon pack. Basically this effort could result in complete overhaul of the current FreeCAD default icon theme. The main obstacle being, FreeCAD doesn't apply any default style, like for example Blender, and hence icons could look less optimal in some (theming) situations.
I don't (yet :) ) understand the code and its restrictions enough, so:
How hard would it be to update the default icon set? Or what would be possible complications?

It's still early, but I started a bit playing around with a style that combines what I like the most about OnShape's and Fusion360's icons:
Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 19.51.10.png
Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 19.51.10.png (106.19 KiB) Viewed 457 times

I saw it as a opportunity for me because it doesn't require (or at least I think that) not much programming skills and will make FreeCAD appear more professional :)
(+ there are some icons that were somewhat confusing so also a chance to enhance that)

HakanSeven12

Post by HakanSeven12 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:29 pm

Looks good :)

carlopav

Post by carlopav » Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Nice!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design

bleber

Post by bleber » Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm