COIL iconTheme

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
1D_Inc

Re: COIL iconTheme

Post by 1D_Inc »

yorik wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:57 pm This is really an amazing job all along 1D_Inc. Quite impressed by the results and the high level of "portability/hackability" of it
Glad to hear that) Yes, it turned out quite a flexible solution.
Nice, that FreeCAD supports SVG, most of software still uses pixelart bitmap.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Well, fresh slice for testing purposes.
1D_FC_COIL_LB_BLUE v0.1 (Light theme)
License is CC-BY-SA 3.0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q7d4vvgm1o1dq ... 7.zip?dl=0

Now we are polishing icon slicer and preparing it's release.
Hopes, now there will be no such serious problems with Dark theme representation.
1D_FC_COIL_DB_BLUE v0.1.png
1D_FC_COIL_DB_BLUE v0.1.png (969.82 KiB) Viewed 2157 times
COIL_DB.png
COIL_DB.png (131.16 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @1D_Inc

Nice progress! Results are starting to look good on light/dark backgrounds and the monochrome scheme is shaping up nicely too. Good to hear the slicer is maturing. Current FreeCAD icons are a bit bulky due to the fact they try to support light/dark backgrounds by default. Therefore simply put icons need twice the amount of information. COIL theme would therefore i guess need to use at minimum two coils to do the same. :) BUT that would likely be a compromise, and looking at your work, i don't know if it would be justified. Single COIL by design, no compromise. Slight problem might be, that some desktop environments, like GNOME on Ubuntu, can use light background for the application window and dark background in menus.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 pm Hi @1D_Inc

Nice progress!
Thanks!

triplus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 pm Results are starting to look good on light/dark backgrounds and the monochrome scheme is shaping up nicely too. Good to hear the slicer is maturing.
Doing our best) We've started addon's formalization process.
triplus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 pm Current FreeCAD icons are a bit bulky due to the fact they try to support light/dark backgrounds by default. Therefore simply put icons need twice the amount of information. COIL theme would therefore i guess need to use at minimum two coils to do the same. :) BUT that would likely be a compromise, and looking at your work, i don't know if it would be justified. Single COIL by design, no compromise. Slight problem might be, that some desktop environments, like GNOME on Ubuntu, can use light background for the application window and dark background in menus.
Yes, I faced such issue on Arch/Cinnamon. Guess, that why there are no ArchiCAD/AutoCAD version for Linux, and that's why they have they own GUI.
Meanwhile, this case is definitely out of goal, so users with that problems will have ability to use default theme, or light and dark backgrounds needs to be made lighten and darken respectively, to leave more color contrast space for uniform icons solution.

FreeCAD Backgroubds C.png
FreeCAD Backgroubds C.png (25.41 KiB) Viewed 2078 times
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:46 pm And looking at your work, i don't know if it would be justified.
I don’t worry about justification, I'm worried only about the job being done well.
All we can do is maximize the chances in the allotted time with available resources.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Here is how Unified COIL (U_COIL) will look like with current low backgrounds contrast base.

UCOIL_FREECAD.png
UCOIL_FREECAD.png (255.35 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

BASE - same U_COIL theme colors on both backgrounds
UCOIL_BASE.png
UCOIL_BASE.png (13 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

Same theme, Black Fall
UCOIL_LUB.png
UCOIL_LUB.png (246.74 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
BASE
LUB_Scheme.png
LUB_Scheme.png (10.44 KiB) Viewed 1888 times

Meanwhile, I've seen Yorik uses Blender 2.8-like dark scheme. Where I need to press in FreeCAD to get something like this?
https://yorik.uncreated.net/guestblog.php?2019=16

FREECAD_ULTRADARK.jpg
FREECAD_ULTRADARK.jpg (188.75 KiB) Viewed 1931 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

1D_Inc wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 pm I don’t worry about justification, I'm worried only about the job being done well.
If you would like to better address different possible backgrounds, providing single icon theme, you would likely need to add a bit of extra information, to each individual icon. Likely that would at minimum come down to using solutions such as using twice the amount of geometry and/or color. Now, on most desktops out there, sensible light/dark variant should suffice.
Here is how Unified COIL (U_COIL) will look like with current low backgrounds contrast base.
On desktops, where light/dark variant would suffice, such "unified" variant might look like an compromise. For real "unified" icon theme, you likely therefore would need to make icons more packed with information. Coil with two windings. :idea:
Meanwhile, I've seen Yorik uses Blender 2.8-like dark scheme. Where I need to press in FreeCAD to get something like this?
It's a custom Linux desktop environment theme. For Linux a plethora of them exists out there. Literally they come in all colors. In addition, the same could apply for FreeCAD theme. Currently two official style sheet variants are available by default. But there are no limits, on possibly having more of them in the future. If somebody will make them other people will likely use them. ;)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:27 pm On desktops, where light/dark variant would suffice, such "unified" variant might look like an compromise. For real "unified" icon theme, you likely therefore would need to make icons more packed with information. Coil with two windings. :idea:
triplus wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:27 pm It's a custom Linux desktop environment theme. For Linux a plethora of them exists out there. Literally they come in all colors. In addition, the same could apply for FreeCAD theme. Currently two official style sheet variants are available by default. But there are no limits, on possibly having more of them in the future. If somebody will make them other people will likely use them. ;)
I think it is possible to make unified COIL theme contrast enough, if to make dark theme background darker.
I will make a test to calculate how darker it have to be.
It seems that I did not understand the term about the information package)
Can you give an example?

Slicer addon will be released soon.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

1D_Inc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:55 pm It seems that I did not understand the term about the information package)
Can you give an example?
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Artwork_Guidelines

B - outline
C - highlight

Embedding double the amount of geometry and color information. As that can lead to better addressing light and dark background (combinations). An example:
Evolution.png
Evolution.png (7.99 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
The last big FreeCAD icon theme overhaul done by @agryson was all about that. And that is the main reason FreeCAD icons gain a little bit of weight. :)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Ok, I've got it. Yes, current version of icons was created to satisfy all possible conditions, and it works great for such purpose.

But our goal is not to make and icon pack that will be suitable for every condition possible, but to define conditions, that will uphold slim icon design.

We are here not to follow giudelines, but make a break through them. That's why it is called "research."

Currently, we've got

= Wire COIL icon theme design concept, with no fills and single thickness.
= Made sure that this concept can cover entire icon library without inconsistency.
= Reached minimum number of colors for color scheme.
= Solution to provide unlimited color variations by user demand, in the form of IconSlicer.
= Tried to design unified color scheme, finding out that the contrast of backgrounds should be increased.

We cannot apply previous terms to current solution, because they are incompatible by design, as far as designed to be incompatible.

OUT_BBB.png
OUT_BBB.png (90.39 KiB) Viewed 1799 times