Per-project metrics

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

adrianinsaval

Re: Per-project metrics

Post by adrianinsaval » Wed May 08, 2019 1:21 am

To offer my 2 cents, I'll sugest having the units as a property of the document and then have an easy to acces drop down menu or something of the sort allowing you to choose between using the document's units or metric, imperial, whatever and a 'custom' option that opens the preference panel about units.

traverseda

Post by traverseda » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:24 pm

How about just changing the display? If I type 5ft 3 inches into a constraint, represent it internally in mm but leave the text as "5ft 3 inches".

Display mm on mouse over?

Unfortunately here in Canada we do end up having to mix units a lot, and it seems cleaner to me to make sure everything is displayed as what it actually is. 5 foot three inches might technically be 1600.2 mm, but that doesn't help if I'm converting a technical document from an imperial source.

mtsinc

Post by mtsinc » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:52 pm

I should mention that I managed to get FreeCAD to manage unit systems per-project. Several months ago, in fact.

I haven't attempted to offer it, however, because even though I can shift the metrics internally, there's not any good event I can find to fire to cause the change to propagate when switching view panes. This is especially noticeable when opening a project file.

It would be nice if there was something for this. For one thing, even with the current every-project-the-same setup I've seen the units changes lag on recent production releases.