Per-project metrics

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

adrianinsaval

Re: Per-project metrics

Post by adrianinsaval »

To offer my 2 cents, I'll sugest having the units as a property of the document and then have an easy to acces drop down menu or something of the sort allowing you to choose between using the document's units or metric, imperial, whatever and a 'custom' option that opens the preference panel about units.
traverseda

Post by traverseda »

How about just changing the display? If I type 5ft 3 inches into a constraint, represent it internally in mm but leave the text as "5ft 3 inches".

Display mm on mouse over?

Unfortunately here in Canada we do end up having to mix units a lot, and it seems cleaner to me to make sure everything is displayed as what it actually is. 5 foot three inches might technically be 1600.2 mm, but that doesn't help if I'm converting a technical document from an imperial source.
mtsinc

Post by mtsinc »

I should mention that I managed to get FreeCAD to manage unit systems per-project. Several months ago, in fact.

I haven't attempted to offer it, however, because even though I can shift the metrics internally, there's not any good event I can find to fire to cause the change to propagate when switching view panes. This is especially noticeable when opening a project file.

It would be nice if there was something for this. For one thing, even with the current every-project-the-same setup I've seen the units changes lag on recent production releases.
mtsinc

Post by mtsinc »

While this is off-topic, I would like to express my overwhelming gratitude for the FreeCAD "link" feature. It has made my life a lot more pleasant.

Unfortunately, FreeCAD still persists on per-instance metric systems over per-document metric systems. And it continues to be about my biggest complaint.

It wasn't that hard to store metric info in the document files or to apply it to the metric core of FreeCAD. However, to be truly useful, it's necessary that when you have multiple documents open using different metric rules, that some sort of event be broadcast telling the metric core and the property displays that the rules for the currently-displayed document tab should be switched in as you go from tab to tab.

There's obviously some existing mechanisms, since you can change your metric system via the master properties dialog and the UI will update, but I haven't been able to make that work as an internally-invoked function fired from the tab-activation logic. I need something I can broadcast the change to.

If anyone can help out on that, I'd be really grateful.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

mtsinc wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:18 pm If anyone can help out on that, I'd be really grateful.
You can use different instances of FreeCAD using different config files. All metric stuff is then edited in the metric instance and imperial models are modeled in the imperial instance. Instead of switching tabs it is switching applications.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.