Looking for Graphics Designer for GDML workbench.

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Looking for Graphics Designer for GDML workbench.

Post by jmaustpc »

keithsloan52 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:47 am If I go look at a number of my stored bookmark links for GDML the common theme is a wire frame globe.
Hi Keith, the only icon i see in those links is the green wire frame globe in the browser tab. I can make you one of those if you like, in either mauve or green, but don't you think it looks likely to be confused as meaning the Mesh WB Sphere?
keithsloan52 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:31 am You are correct a number of applications use GDML namely ROOT, Geant4 etc.
I noticed Root, but I mistook it as another viewer/gui for Geant. :oops: I read somewhere that Geant can be compiled with either QT or Coin front end, but not both at once. I read that Geant says it is intended for a

According to wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geant4
Since release 10.0, Geant4 implements multithreading,[4] making use of thread-local storage to allow for efficient generation of simulated events in parallel. There is not yet support for multithreading under Windows; GEANT4 must be installed under a Unix-based operating system such as MacOS or Ubuntu if multithreading is required.
A win for Linux! :) Is FreeCAD's very limited multithreading go anything to do with why using the Geant lib Geant wb was slow?

Jim
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Since release 10.0, Geant4 implements multithreading,[4] making use of thread-local storage to allow for efficient generation of simulated events in parallel. There is not yet support for multithreading under Windows; GEANT4 must be installed under a Unix-based operating system such as MacOS or Ubuntu if multithreading is required.
A win for Linux! :) Is FreeCAD's very limited multithreading go anything to do with why using the Geant lib Geant wb was slow?

Jim
[/quote]

Not sure if the python library has multithreading?

I tried using the GDML parsing facilities of the python lib to Geant4, suspect that is NOT multithreading.
I think Monte Carlo simulations will be the things that exploit multi threading.

I think FreeCAD and Geant4 both work via Inventor and when I had a very quick look was not sure they did so in a compatible way.
Like they both want to be the boss. It is on my long term list of things to look at. At moment want to concentrate on Python GDML implementation.

On Sunday off to Norfolk for my youngest Daughters graduation. She just got her degree in Graphics design, but was not interested in doing the icons for me, as she is more into packaging than computer related stuff. Will see if she has any ideas about a GDML icon.

All the best - Keith
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

keithsloan52 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:54 pm On Sunday off to Norfolk for my youngest Daughters graduation. She just got her degree in Graphics design, but was not interested in doing the icons for me, as she is more into packaging than computer related stuff. Will see if she has any ideas about a GDML icon.
Congratulation to your daughter and you two. As parents you never really stop worrying about your children but I think we do get some sense of relief/achievement when they hit mile stones in their lives, the last one finishing her first tertiary education or getting their first job etc. is one of those mile stones. :)