New sketch on arbitrary face

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ari

New sketch on arbitrary face

Post by ari »

Hi all,

Please make it possible to start a new sketch on an arbitrary (planar) face. Either:
  • select face
  • click "create new sketch"
or
  • click on face
IMO, this should directly open the sketch. And obviously both ways are not mutually exclusive from a users viewpoint.

I.e. give an alternative to the following:
  • select one of the origin planes
  • click ok
  • click close
  • select the desired face
  • click "map sketch to a face"
  • select the newly created sketch
  • click ok
  • click ok another time for the attachment mode
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: New sketch on arbitrary face

Post by Jee-Bee »

If the arbitrary face is a flat face both are possible already.

see here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_NewSketch
and here: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Sketcher_MapSketch
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

ari wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:04 pm Please make it possible to start a new sketch on an arbitrary (planar) face.
Not only is that already how it works, its worked like that for a very, very long time, years and years. Its best to read the wiki before asking for help or feature requests etc. of course the wiki in not always complete or up to date in all things but it does contain an enormous amount of useful knowledge.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The two basic PartDesign Tutorials use this technique as well.

All that being said, since 0.17 it is recommended to attach sketches rather on the principal planes or DatumPlanes to avoid topological naming issues occurring, in case you later have to edit features prior to the attached sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ari

Post by ari »

Not only is that already how it works, its worked like that for a very, very long time, years and years. Its best to read the wiki before asking for help or feature requests etc. of course the wiki in not always complete or up to date in all things but it does contain an enormous amount of useful knowledge.
I could swear I tried it this way before (otherwise I wouldn't have put it as one solution into the feature request) and I definitely search for how to do this and only found docu starting at the origin planes, and this ancient thread asking for this.
Thanks for pointing this out!