Cube menu

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Cube menu

Post by bitacovir »

triplus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:32 am CubeMenu.png

CubeMenu is a FreeCAD module that provides ability for managing FreeCAD navigation cube menu structure and overall appearance.

Code repository:
https://github.com/triplus/CubeMenu
Is it not in the Addon Manager list, yet? I cannot see it.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

triplus,

Could you please try to add the "cube size" setting? apart from the fact to be able to customize it, for people like me that use HDPI screens, the cube become that small that is unusable...

Thanks
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

bitacovir wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:13 am Is it not in the Addon Manager list, yet? I cannot see it.
Looks like Addons manager is a bit more strict these days, accepting modules. For now please result to manual installation.
pablogil wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:31 am triplus,

Could you please try to add the "cube size" setting? apart from the fact to be able to customize it, for people like me that use HDPI screens, the cube become that small that is unusable...

Thanks
Fair point, will add it today.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that the navigation cube size setting was added earlier today.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:54 pm Note that the navigation cube size setting was added earlier today.
Great! it works. Please, add a label that reads something like "(needs FreeCAD restart)"... it didn't updated the new size till I restarted FreeCAD ;)
IMHO, the size option must go into the FreeCAD preferences because is really important.

Cheers
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
czinehuba

Post by czinehuba »

triplus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:32 am CubeMenu.png

CubeMenu is a FreeCAD module that provides ability for managing FreeCAD navigation cube menu structure and overall appearance.

Code repository:
https://github.com/triplus/CubeMenu
Great work with this. Well done.

How feasible is to extend it with a few more options ie:

Possibility to create a home possition to always go back to. And also to be able to select which is the front for the cases when you working on different sides of the project.
cube menu home.png
cube menu home.png (18.99 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
Add another small command to the cube menu for zoom functions
extra widget zoom menu.png
extra widget zoom menu.png (46.11 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
Possibly not needeng the different zoom command in FC for extra screen estate. On the laptop it takes up quite a lot.
FC zoom.png
FC zoom.png (52.6 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

triplus wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:32 am CubeMenu is a FreeCAD module that provides ability for managing FreeCAD navigation cube menu structure and overall appearance.
OficineRobotica wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:12 am
realthunder wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:51 pm There is a way to display it. It's quite new, and does not work quite well in my latest release. I have fixed in in the pending release. You can show the 'LCS' of each element by either change the element object's 'ShowCS' property in the View (not Data) property page, or use the following toolbar button to show it for all elements.
It is a bit of time that I think about this. As FC is a local coordinate system aware software there was no way that one could instantly visualize the coordinates of a given selection. As there is a duplication of global coordinates display in the viewport (the top cube and the bottom arrow coordinate display) why not make the bottom one always display the LCS for the current selection instead of the global coordinates? From a usability stand point that would be a great plus for all workbenches if implemented at the base level not just for asm3. Perhaps with a small text underneath it "LCS" to avoid confusion. As of the current implementation , if i select an element with the "show LCS" option enabled , the lcs is highlighted in green and i cannot tel which axis is which. Imagine how much easier manual rotations about an axis would be with a clear representation of the selection LCS.

asm3CoordinateSystem.jpeg

Thank you for your great work.
Cheers.
@Triplus Do you think that with your addon it is technically possible to force the cube to display the local coordinate system of a given selection instead of the global CS? This little trick would have such a great positive impact on the workflow of people doing assemblies. Perhaps with a quick togle between GlobalCS and LocalCS.
I still think that the bottom "arrow display" would be better suited for this problem but waiting for that to happen do you think that cube menu could do the trick?

Thank you
Cheers
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

In a day or two i will create a PR, for being able to add a bit more control over NaviCube appearance to CubeMenu module. Like being able to set colors, offset, maybe text ... That will likely be it, regarding the CubeMenu module, for now. If it makes sense:
czinehuba wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:48 am How feasible is to extend it with a few more options ie:

Possibility to create a home possition to always go back to. And also to be able to select which is the front for the cases when you working on different sides of the project.
There is currently View -> Freeze display functionality available in FreeCAD. I could try to bring that whole menu entry to the NaviCube menu, if desired?
Add another small command to the cube menu for zoom functions
Fit all command likely already does that?
OficineRobotica wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:31 am @Triplus Do you think that with your addon it is technically possible to force the cube to display the local coordinate system of a given selection instead of the global CS? This little trick would have such a great positive impact on the workflow of people doing assemblies. Perhaps with a quick togle between GlobalCS and LocalCS.
I still think that the bottom "arrow display" would be better suited for this problem but waiting for that to happen do you think that cube menu could do the trick?

Thank you
Cheers
I took a quick look and likely indeed NaviCube could do that. Some selection logic would need to be added and based on the selected feature, to therefore translate the NaviCube accordingly. And when one clicks on for example "Front" for the translation to be taken into consideration. This is out of scope, concerning the CubeMenu module and i personally don't plan to work on this for now.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

There is now a pending PR against navigation cube and later in the day some changes will get added to cube menu module. Once cube menu module is installed, navigation cube menu gains a few additional commands by default:
Menu.png
Menu.png (39.69 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
The navigation cube menu is fully customizable:
Preferences.png
Preferences.png (84.22 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
In addition now navigation cube appearance is fully customizable:
Appearance.png
Appearance.png (56.04 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Some examples of customization:
Cube.png
Cube.png (26.73 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

wow!
I have a question triplus: you have been working a lot on FreeCAD UI. And AFAICS you always created wonderful external modules. I am just asking myself: why some of them (like this one for the navicube) don't go into the FreeCAD Master? They are obvious enhancements from all points of view.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design