Work on modern icon theme

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
st_phan

Work on modern icon theme

Post by st_phan »

I'm using this thread to post updates on my progress creating a modern icon theme.

The conversation started in the "COIL iconTheme"-thread but I am creating this thread to not spam the other one even more ;)

Icon tests:
Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 19.51.10.png
Screenshot 2020-05-20 at 19.51.10.png (106.19 KiB) Viewed 12061 times
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Re: Work on modern icon theme

Post by HakanSeven12 »

I want to see the progress of this icon theme :) thanks for your efforts. One suggestion, find a name for it.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Very cool. Please consider the info within Artwork Guidelines
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Very god looking icons! I'm eager to try it out once its released. I don't know much about design myself but I think it's good to take advice from those who might actually know, so maybe it's worthwhile to hear the criticism that was made to other software and take it into account for your iconset: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 27#p336012
st_phan

Post by st_phan »

HakanSeven12 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:31 pm I want to see the progress of this icon theme :) thanks for your efforts. One suggestion, find a name for it.
Good call! I have to think about that :)

Kunda1 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:41 pm Very cool. Please consider the info within Artwork Guidelines
Yeah, I saw that when I checked out the "How to contribute"-page.
I'll keep it in mind until I have progressed further! Thanks a lot for the hint!

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:38 am Very god looking icons! I'm eager to try it out once its released. I don't know much about design myself but I think it's good to take advice from those who might actually know, so maybe it's worthwhile to hear the criticism that was made to other software and take it into account for your iconset: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 27#p336012
Thanks a lot for the tip and the link to the video. I don't intend to reinvent the wheel – I am a huge fan of OnShape and Fusion360 and my plan is the bring the best bits from those tools to FreeCAD.
OnShape has very small and monochrome icons, and Fusion too detailed and large icons. So a mix should work perfectly for FreeCAD.

Of course FreeCAD has its own needs, but for the usual CAD icons those references are really handy :)

Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 23.23.18.png
Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 23.23.18.png (227.36 KiB) Viewed 11832 times

————

My current plan is to pump out as many icons as quickly as possible – in a very rough way – to see what style (colors, line thicknesses, etc.) works well in the application.
And once I reach a step where I feel that a good solution is found, the detail work starts :)

WIP:
Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 23.29.54.png
Screenshot 2020-05-26 at 23.29.54.png (118.14 KiB) Viewed 11832 times

————

Thanks to Triplus' awesome work on the IconThemes, testing out the icons is really quick :)
triplus wrote:
icons_gif.gif
icons_gif.gif (204.08 KiB) Viewed 11832 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Sounds like a plan and looking forward!
henriqueneco

Post by henriqueneco »

Great job, I love simplistic icons. Do you consider doing them for dark mode?
st_phan

Post by st_phan »

henriqueneco wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:48 pm Great job, I love simplistic icons. Do you consider doing them for dark mode?
Cool!
Yes that's also the plan, but I will finish them for the bright mode first, because recoloring them for a dark mode later should be quick :)
Chendy

Post by Chendy »

@st_phan your WIP looks amazing! 💪

Having modern professional UX really really helps push the Freecad project forwards.The psychological benefits, Freecad seems less scary to new users. But also to potential contributors: It shouts 'this project is going places!'
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Please do a miracle for that Std_DrawStyle icon: after 2 years using FreeCAD i still need a couple of seconds to catch it in the toolbar!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design