Modern UI for Inventor/Solidworks/Catia/Zacad3d guys

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

marcin86

Modern UI for Inventor/Solidworks/Catia/Zacad3d guys

Post by marcin86 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Hello there!

I have some idea. A lot of guys are "used to" use ribbon bars. I think it will be nice to make some "options menu" when you open first time Freecad - and you can chose:

- Freecad standard (COIL iconTheme)
- Freecad Modern UI (Hakanseven)
- Freecad Architect (COIL iconTheme) turn on architect ribbon
- Freecad Architect Modern UI (turn on architect ribbon)
- Mechanical standard (COIL iconTheme)
- Mechanical standard (Modern UI)
- Mechanical with FEM (COIL iconTheme)
- Mechanical with FEM (Modern UI)
- Mechanical with CNC (COIL iconTheme)
- Mechanical with CNC (Modern UI)

What is point of doing that? and: What should be in Mechanical Standard? What should be in Mechanical?

I have aprox. 10 year experience as a cad designer - Inventor 7 years / Solidworks 3 years / Ansys 3 yeas / Abaqus 3 months / Zw3d 2 months, Catia 5-7 months, 3d max 1 year. Typical: Food /chemistry machinces / piping / furniture / offshore / marine. Now starting Python learning.

1. What is point of doing that? A lot of people would like to try with Freecad and they know Invnentor/Solidworks/Catia/Solidedge - but they are not used to "icon mode". They don't know how to add Modern UI.

2. What should be in Mechanical Standard? A lot of people don't know how to change menu's and I think it's useless to add all menus: Render / Clouds points / CNC. I attached picture. It's simple: - Mechanical standard (Modern UI) - Assembbly / Part Design / Part / Drawing / skecher - I attached picture. I think this is simple setup for normal 80% mechanical users of Inventor / Solidworks / Soldegde / Catia. And menu of tree should be always on on left turn on (not hidden)

I know there are normal modelers who use COIL iconTheme and they are happy. I used icon system in 3d max 1990 and in 2015-2020 and I love icons in 3d max. So I can also put shoes of normal users - Freecad standard (COIL iconTheme).

I hope this new menu will bring a lot of users and make Freecad famous and simple for new-comers. Please comment my idea. And big thanks for all freeecad community and Hakanseven for modern UI.

Best regards
Marcin Nowak
Attachments
pic1.JPG
picture
pic1.JPG (206.84 KiB) Viewed 575 times

armandas

Re: Modern UI for Inventor/Solidworks/Catia/Zacad3d guys

Post by armandas » Sun May 24, 2020 10:11 pm

What a great idea. One of the problems when staring is figuring out what this workbench stuff is and then which one you need. The typical user will only need 3-4, so hide the rest...

Additionally, the "wizard" could set up the navigation options most similar to the users habits.

Kunda1

Post by Kunda1 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:51 pm

Related: Feature request: "Rocket Science Mode" https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=36424
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features

HakanSeven12

Post by HakanSeven12 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 pm

I agree with you. I think some interface options must be showed to user at first run.

adrianinsaval

Post by adrianinsaval » Tue May 26, 2020 1:01 pm

The problem is we don't have ready options yet. COIL icons have been abandoned and are not finished while modern UI is not compatible with FreeCAD's license AFAIK (and I think it's still WIP). But I agree, once we really have such options a startup dialog that lets you choose is a good idea, realthunder's overlayed layout could be presented there aswell once its merged.

HakanSeven12

Post by HakanSeven12 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:26 pm

Yes Modern UI still wip I want to add more features but I don't have time.