multiple views from same prospective

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
efferre

multiple views from same prospective

Post by efferre »

I have the following design:
with.png
with.png (11.57 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
without.png
without.png (12.42 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
and I am preparing the drawing using TechDraw. The two pictures differs from a cover part which is hidden in the second picture.

I would like to show two top views with and without the cover at the same time to put in evidence the inner channel but as soon as I create the second view also the first one is updated. Is there a way to avoid keeping a view linked with the original 3D?

I am using latest FreeCAD version from repository
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: multiple views from same prospective

Post by wandererfan »

efferre wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:16 pm I would like to show two top views with and without the cover at the same time to put in evidence the inner channel but as soon as I create the second view also the first one is updated. Is there a way to avoid keeping a view linked with the original 3D?
You'll get better answers if you post the FCStd file.

I'm guessing this is an assembly of some sort? if it is, you can select just the pieces you want in the drawing as the Source objects.
efferre

Post by efferre »

Here is attached the file. It's a step file provided by a supplier and imported into FreeCAD.

What I do is the following:
  • I select the tab with the 3D design and define the left view so that the assembly is shown from the top
  • I press the "Insert default Page" button from TechDraw toolbar
  • I select the master object Fiber-A-Protection_assembly and then press the "Insert a view" button from the TechDraw toolbar
  • I toggle the visibility of Fiber-tubing_A_cover object and select again Fiber-A-Protection_assembly
  • I press the "Insert a view" button from the TechDraw toolbar
In the drawing page I can see now two views as expected, like this:
drawing.png
drawing.png (18.28 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
If I press the "redraw page" button, the first view is updated and becomes identical to the second one. I hope it's clear.
Attachments
portA.FCStd
(222.2 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efferre wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:41 pm [*] I toggle the visibility of Fiber-tubing_A_cover object and select again Fiber-A-Protection_assembly
Visibility in the 3D window isn't considered in determining what gets printed. It's an interesting approach though.

To print the whole assembly, select the whole assembly as the source. To print only parts of the assembly, just select those parts.
portA_visibility_partials.png
portA_visibility_partials.png (49.34 KiB) Viewed 1769 times
Attachments
portA_visibility_partials.FCStd
(226.36 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
efferre

Post by efferre »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:34 pm Visibility in the 3D window isn't considered in determining what gets printed. It's an interesting approach though.
actually the visibility has some effect as described above but it's not what the user expects :) was able to destroy a drawing when playing with my experiments, most of the quotes and dimensions were lost, I'll post again if I find a procedure to reproduce the problem
wandererfan wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:34 pm To print the whole assembly, select the whole assembly as the source.
yes I confirm that works, thanks
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efferre wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:07 am actually the visibility has some effect as described above but it's not what the user expects :)
Not what the programmer expects either. Something somewhere is "doing us a favour". :(
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

efferre wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:07 am ... most of the quotes and dimensions were lost, I'll post again if I find a procedure to reproduce the problem
This sounds like the topological naming problem. Essentially, TechDraw dimensions (TechDraw_Dimension_Length) depend on the names of the edges in the 3D model. If you change the 3D model, the dimensions in TechDraw may break because the edges are renamed. Therefore, you should only add your dimensions as the last step, when the model is not subject to change any more.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
efferre

Post by efferre »

vocx wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 am This sounds like the topological naming problem. Essentially, TechDraw dimensions (TechDraw_Dimension_Length) depend on the names of the edges in the 3D model. If you change the 3D model, the dimensions in TechDraw may break because the edges are renamed. Therefore, you should only add your dimensions as the last step, when the model is not subject to change any more.
No, I didn't change anything in the 3D model. I'll post back if I am able to reproduce the problem.
efferre

Post by efferre »

Today I have found a minor issue, when exporting the front view I get an extra point in the drawing which is not available in the 3D model, see the picture here (I am starting from the freecad file attached above):
front_view.png
front_view.png (20.49 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

efferre wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:34 am Today I have found a minor issue, when exporting the front view I get an extra point in the drawing which is not available in the 3D model, see the picture here (I am starting from the freecad file attached above):
There are a bunch of geometry errors in the file, notably "Fiber-Protection-flange_EDFA". See the short lines near the left end.
portA_GeometryErrors.png
portA_GeometryErrors.png (221.32 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Geometry errors confuse the Hidden Line Removal algorithms in OCC. We don't have a general solution for detecting and correcting this situation automatically. It usually happens with assemblies and/or STEP imports.

You can often trick HLR by changing the Direction property of the View by a tiny bit.
HLRTrickery.png
HLRTrickery.png (100.86 KiB) Viewed 1650 times