Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rem

Re: Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

Post by rem »

I'm quite new to FreeCAD, so I'm not yet able to produce videos about it. I hope to be able to at some point, but I'm not familiar enough right now. However, I have some experience making videos on other topics and I think some of this information might be helpful.

General tips
  • Use large fonts and buttons where possible. This can usually be set in the settings for your window manager on Unix-like operating systems and can be set in the display settings on Windows. I find 18–22px sufficient in most cases, though the vast majority (nearly 90%) of my viewers are from the United States and tend to watch in high definition on a computer.
  • Create smaller segments of video and provide a short description for each. I like to add a schedule to the beginning of my videos during editing (by adding an image as a placeholder, rendering at a lower resolution, setting the timings in the image, and rendering at full resolution). If you use a service like YouTube to host your videos, you can also add links to particular times in the description of the video. I do this because very few people will watch the entire video (according to YouTube Analytics, only twenty percent of my viewers watch my videos on science-related topics to completion) and I want viewers to find what they're looking for and not waste time.
  • Make editing easier for yourself! Number your video and audio clips and know what you're planning to make before you start recording.
  • Provide closed captions or a transcript if at all possible. This can be very helpful to people watching in an office environment. Some content creators who don't record themselves speaking, like "Primitive Technology," use it as an optional description of what's being done.
  • If you don't have a microphone, you can use a cell phone (with applications like "Voice Recorder") and add the audio in post. It might be worth getting a cardioid microphone, however, to minimize clicking and typing noises.
Software (all open source or first-party; most cross-platform)
  • It's possible to record on multiple platforms with FFmpeg, though you'll need to be comfortable with the command line. The syntax is quite simple and is documented well. To record Linux at 30 FPS and a resolution of 1920 by 1080 pixels, for instance, you could use

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -video_size 1920x1080 -framerate 30 -f x11grab -i :0.0 output.mp4
    You can record multiple monitors by changing the resolution (it works quite intuitively) or specify the monitor by adding an offset from the monitor it would have recorded, such as

ffmpeg -video_size 1920x1080 -f x11grab -r 30 -i :0.0+1920,0 output.mp4
    to start recording 1920 pixels to the right of your current screen (measured from the top left corner).
    FFmpeg is also very useful for converting videos and correcting those made with software that doesn't play nicely with others (QuickTime Player on macOS, for instance, doesn't have a set framerate).

ffmpeg -y -i input.mp4 -r 30 -vf "scale=trunc(iw/2)*2:trunc(ih/2)*2" -c:v libx264 -b:v 3M -strict -2 -movflags faststart output.mp4
    will ensure the framerate is 30 FPS. The scale option allows you to convert videos with sizes that are not divisible by 2 (which is not permitted by libx264) because it halves the video size, truncates it, then multiplies it by 2 so it's guaranteed to be even. This saves a lot of headaches.
  • Open Broadcaster Software has been mentioned here before. It works very well for more complex recordings because it's made for video game streamers who tend to add images and other content to videos and record only part of the screen.
  • macOS has a built-in recording utility in QuickTime Player, but the output isn't the best and may have inconsistent framerates and compression (it uses QuickTime File Format). Kap is a similar program that tends to have more consistent compression (but still has issues with framerates). You can fix this with FFmpeg (see above).
  • Blender has the Video Sequence Editor to edit videos. This isn't supported as well as the three-dimensional modeling capabilities and some things you would expect to find in video editors may be broken or missing entirely. It's very powerful, however, and has support for compositing; masking; transformations (like zooming and moving about the screen); audio; images; custom resolutions, framerates, and codecs; and color correction.
  • OpenShot is a simple video editor that can be used to split and combine segments of audio and video. It's not nearly as powerful as Blender, but it's much easier to use.
  • Audacity can record and edit audio. I record with Audacity and match audio and video when editing my videos. It has some very useful features that I use to reduce noise and make sure I have a consistent volume across segments of audio.
  • Inkscape is what I use for images. It is used to edit and create vector graphics and can export in raster formats. GIMP can be used to edit raster images and has limited support for vectors.
Other useful programs (that aren't open source) include Paint.NET, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Audition, Adobe Premiere Pro, and Final Cut Pro X.

I've stumbled with all the tools I've mentioned over the years and can probably offer advice to those who are struggling. I use macOS, Linux, and Windows for work (which is why I tend to choose cross-platform software) and should be able to walk through using much of the software I've included in this post. Please, don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Community knowledgebase: getting started with tutorial and video contribution

Post by NormandC »

Welcome here rem, and thanks for your input!
rem wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:18 pm It might be worth getting a cardioid microphone, however, to minimize clicking and typing noises.
I have one and it picks up every little sound! :? (typing, mouse clicking, my breathing)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:06 pm Welcome here rem, and thanks for your input!
rem wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:18 pm It might be worth getting a cardioid microphone, however, to minimize clicking and typing noises.
I have one and it picks up every little sound! :? (typing, mouse clicking, my breathing)
Cardiod (a microphone pattern) is not the only property of a microphone. If the microphone is a dynamic type or a condenser type is far more important. Condenser microphones are far more sensitive. That is the case for your'e mic @NormandC

A simple Shure sm58/48 or Sennheiser e835 is for most speech circumstances enough!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:21 pm A simple Shure sm58/48 or Sennheiser e835 is for most speech circumstances enough!
I now recall that back when I purchased that mic I did research the subject and found that for vocals, dynamic mics were best. But I originally wanted to record my acoustic guitar, not my voice which is why I went with condenser... Oh well :|
AllVisuals4U

Post by AllVisuals4U »

Running on Windows 10 and i'm using OBS te record my screen.
I don't speak, but use YouTubes subtitle creator to subtitle my videos.
AllVisuals4U
Learn To Design | 3D Printing, Design & Lifehacks
YouTube https://youtube.com/AllVisuals4U
LBRY https://lbry.tv/@AllVisuals4U:7
BitTube https://bittube.tv/profile/AllVisuals4U
regis

Post by regis »

okay, I have downloaded Kdenlive and Lightworks,
some programs are good for certain things, I wanted to create a template with openshot, but after developing a workflow with OBS, Openshot does not meet my current needs. OBS is good for instant recordings, but not so good for creating multiple templates for many different projects than can be regrouped into one once every thing is compiled.
At first glance Lightworks basic tutorials seem to work well so far, so now i'll attempt to create something semi serious with it to see how well i can create, store and reuse asset files.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@regis +1
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I recently got hooked on TLDR News. I'm amazed at how fast he can produce videos. When a lot was happening with brexit, he was putting out at least one video a day, sometimes two.

Anyone know what kind of tools are used for simple animation like this that let him move so fast?
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Shotcut has a function to add text overlay as filter. Switch off (default) GPU rendering to see the Text:Simple filter. I just did a short test and looks like it should do what you want. The results [1]

Split the video where you want the text to change (S key or Slit at Playhead), select the video section, apply Text:simple filter, done. There is also option to change the filter duration, but is seems to be less time efficient, at least for me.

I can make a short video how to do it if you need.

[1] https://peertube.social/videos/watch/40 ... 8bb0a38f65