Unable to Pad Pocket in Basic Part Design Tutorial 017

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
toltec7

Unable to Pad Pocket in Basic Part Design Tutorial 017

Post by toltec7 »

I have an issue in the tutorial "Basic Part Design Tutorial 017" https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Basic_P ... torial_017 down in the section "Features with pad and external geometry".

When I Pad the pocket, the 'pocket' does not extend out the front past the angled front face.

The text says this

"Next we will click on the Pad feature and in the Pad dialog in the Combo View we want a length of 26 mm leaving the type as Dimension and then placing a check on the Reversed checkbox. Using the Reversed checkbox will cause the Pad to go into the part instead of away from the part. This operation provides with the following result."

Mine goes into the part, but doesn't appear out the front of the part?

Not sure where I've gone wrong?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16117 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: dbb4cc6415bac848a294f03b80f65e888d531742
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Attachments
PadPocket.GIF
PadPocket.GIF (86.32 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
MYBasic_Part_Design_Tutorial_017.fcstd
(23.98 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Unable to Pad Pocket in Basic Part Design Tutorial 017

Post by kisolre »

Those topics should go to Help subforum.
You should provide the file from which you took that screenshot with the pad applied even if it is wrong. How can we see what happens if it is not there?
PadOk.JPG
PadOk.JPG (70.18 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

here it does what it should do... except edge refinement maybe
Attachments
(30.83 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
toltec7

Post by toltec7 »

"Those topics should go to Help subforum."

Sorry, but I read another post where they had moved a question about the tutorials here? And that was from the help section.

I have attached the file with pad not showing on my machine

I opened the file from Jee-Bee and that seems to be fine, I can see the pads out the front on my machine
Attachments
(30.38 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:10 am Those topics should go to Help subforum.
I' not so sure about this. I see it less as a help request and more pointing out deficiencies in the tutorial.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

That is why I said we need your file to see what is actually going on. Or if you had the object tree in your screenshot it would have been evident. You have created POCKET where you should have created PAD (which is properly written in the tutorial). You had reversed it as tutorial states because Pad by default goes up from the sketch (towards you). And since Pocked by default cuts down (from you) reversing it tries to cut from empty space and thus generates only an outline of the sketch. Here is what happens in that pocket is not reversed - you can clearly see that it is not a Pad but a pocket:
PockedInsteadOfPad.JPG
PockedInsteadOfPad.JPG (73.51 KiB) Viewed 2192 times
chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:43 am I' not so sure about this. I see it less as a help request and more pointing out deficiencies in the tutorial.
Not following the tutorial is not problem with the tutorial. Tutorial has icons when tools are mentioned the first time. Should those repeat on every line where Pad/Pocket/sweep,... are mentioned?
toltec7

Post by toltec7 »

Cheers, thanks for that.

I knew it was something stupid I was doing, not the tutorial, which I why I asked what I was doing wrong.

Also, thanks for highlighting the tree view. Not something I'm not used to in this sort of program. Hopefully in future this might help me work it out myself.

Again, thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have improved the tutorial anyway, it was missing the step to close the Sketcher before applying the pad.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Maybe screenshots with the treeview visible after the creation of the sketch, first Pad, first Pocket will be more informative. They can be seen in the youtube videos but just from the tutorial it is not very clear what is going on. Or is it assumed that you should be familiar with that from previous tutorials?
toltec7

Post by toltec7 »

I do just have to add, I really do like these tutorials. They are well laid out, well described, and, as they are text rather than all video, easier for someone like me to go through bits at a time.

Unfortunately, no tute can stop people making stupid mistakes ;)

But well done on these ones, and thanks again for the help.