Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

oliveroxtoby

Re: Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) workbench using OpenFOAM

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:17 pm
I have been using FreeCAD 0.17 and CfdOF for a year with great results. Recently moved to FreeCAD 0.8 and now having problems with Paraview 5.4.1. It will load from FreeCAD and from my Praview icon but I cannot do anything. It crashes and hangs up of I try to load a state or select open. It just sits there with no response and I have to end the task to shut it down. So I downloaded PV 5.4.1 but no change and then downloded PV 5.7.0 and it works fine. But I can't run it from CfdSolver or import my CfdOF case into this later Paraview version. So I'm confused, is there a way to get CfdSolver to start PV 5.7.0?
I doubt that the problem with paraview has anything to do with the FreeCAD version. Unfortunately there isn't currently a way to point CfdOF to another version of paraview, but you can always just run it separately and load the case.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Understood and that was my question to be honest, but wanted to pass on the response from the other subforum. I've started over with a new case and will open it in PV 5.7 to do more inspections. I absolutely understand what you are doing and I'm very grateful, but do you have any indication when my pressure bounaries may be available again?
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:13 am Understood and that was my question to be honest, but wanted to pass on the response from the other subforum. I've started over with a new case and will open it in PV 5.7 to do more inspections. I absolutely understand what you are doing and I'm very grateful, but do you have any indication when my pressure bounaries may be available again?
I was awaiting a case from you which runs in the old ('v0') version of the code with pressure boundaries.
oliveroxtoby wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:46 am Ah. I didn't realise that this setup was working previously. If you still have or can re-generate the OpenFOAM case that was created (the "case" directory that is written), that would probably tell us why.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Ah, sorry again.

First is an original case I ran. Mesh removed to reduce file size. I assumed absolute pressures with atmospheric inlets with fan depression at outlet. I've also included a velocities glyph image of a clip and again my 0.18 velocity boundaries glyph. Very different and the pressure boundary one seems to agree with what I was expecting experimentally.
08-06-19 Chamber Clip & Glyph - Rev P2 - 6.5mm White Background.png
08-06-19 Chamber Clip & Glyph - Rev P2 - 6.5mm White Background.png (363.02 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
Glyph Image.PNG
Glyph Image.PNG (564.71 KiB) Viewed 3367 times

Hope this helps.

Michael
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm Ah, sorry again.

First is an original case I ran. Mesh removed to reduce file size. I assumed absolute pressures with atmospheric inlets with fan depression at outlet. I've also included a velocities glyph image of a clip and again my 0.18 velocity boundaries glyph. Very different and the pressure boundary one seems to agree with what I was expecting experimentally.
Please don't remove the mesh object. You can remove the surface mesh visualisation object (if you loaded it) to reduce file size, but the mesh object itself takes up almost no space in the file.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

Okat Oliver, thanks for the new info. I hadn't noticed the additional surface mesh component. Here it is and it still fails soon after commencing the CfdAnalysis Run after a successful Write selection.

Michael
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Crossleyuk wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm First is an original case I ran. Mesh removed to reduce file size. I assumed absolute pressures with atmospheric inlets with fan depression at outlet. I've also included a velocities glyph image of a clip and again my 0.18 velocity boundaries glyph. Very different and the pressure boundary one seems to agree with what I was expecting experimentally.

12in VXA CFD Axial Diff 5000 Iter 25-07-19 - Rev P2.2 No Mesh.FCStd08-06-19 Chamber Clip & Glyph - Rev P2 - 6.5mm White Background.pngGlyph Image.PNG
I'm quite confused - this is a case you ran, successfully, with pressure boundaries, in the old ('v0') code? I am not able to load it in this version of the code. I can load it in the new code (but of course it fails).

I really need a case that I can load and run in the old version (or the OpenFOAM case directory produced by it) in order to pinpoint the regression.

Note that the FreeCAD version (0.18 etc) is not related to the workbench update, although I suspect that you were using the old version of the workbench with FreeCAD 0.17 - so this is the version of your case I am looking for.
Crossleyuk

Post by Crossleyuk »

I'm also confused and trying to be clear. The case I last sent was one that I was ure worked great in 0.17 and the old CfdOF but failed when, as I thought was suggested at the time, the CfdOF workbook was revised. I don't have any other cases that I had success with but I went back to my learning tutorials and opened the attched file that definitely worked but now looks like this. Nothing is as I expect it to look.
Multi-region Mesh snappyHexMesh - Rev P1.2.FCStd
(217.59 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Multi-region Mesh snappyHexMesh - Rev P1.2 in 0,18.PNG
Multi-region Mesh snappyHexMesh - Rev P1.2 in 0,18.PNG (39.21 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

It is actually this case that introduced me to Boolian Fragments that I used for my VXA case and you suggested combining.

Must now admit I got lost and recovered thanks to your help and a lot of reworking. I'm sure the cse I sent you last worked but must admit it may have been modified during my troubled investigations since all failed. I've lost track and was away for a month last month.

Many thanks and sorry for my confusion, I'm lost and my memory fails me. All I want to do is use the pressure boundaries that seem to be still available now in 0.18 and new CfdOF. I'm way out of my comfort zone after being extatic with my 0.17 results.

Michael
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:52 pm
Crossleyuk wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:48 pm ping
I suspect that you were using the old version of the workbench with FreeCAD 0.17 - so this is the version of your case I am looking for.
Maybe this is a starting point Oliver https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 80#p296517 ? I'm sure it wasn't the last version Michael had before his troubles but might be of use.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Hi Crossleyuk,
I can open your file from above. No problem. SHM works.
But your cube is too big. Inlet-speed 1 mm/s very low.
Done with
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15860 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3b708c7f84b0425076b520e1d95627b20fd75fe0
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)