UAV-tutorial / compressible-solver

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

oliveroxtoby

Re: UAV-tutorial / compressible-solver

Post by oliveroxtoby »

shIxx wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:06 am Hi guys,
I do not know if this fits in here, but I did not want to start a new thread.
I have all tutorials through and am quite familiar with the cfdOF -wb now. Only at the 4th (the UAV tutorial) I can not get on. I did everything as described but I always get an error message and the solver does not expect anything useful (see screenshot).

What I have done:
PhysicsModel: Stady, turbulent case.
FluidProperties: Air
InitialiseFields: Potential flow
openFOAM: parallel true (4), conv.criteria 1e-3, 2000 iterations
Inlet: y = 5m/s and z = -20m/s

Instead of the slice operator I have used XOR (you can see it on the tutorial screenshot as well even if there is written "slice") and it only works with XOR otherwise the model disappears! -> The mesh was well generated (looks like the tutorial)

I don't know why it does not work.
The file is too large to attach.
Maybe double-check your inlet condition. It looks like the solver is probably not seeing any inlet velocity. Otherwise if you can find a way to share the fcstd file, that would probably be the quickest way to get an answer.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 pm Otherwise if you can find a way to share the fcstd file, that would probably be the quickest way to get an answer.
I have uploaded it to google drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 5_mvcKfOn7
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

shIxx wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:18 pm
oliveroxtoby wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:05 pm Otherwise if you can find a way to share the fcstd file, that would probably be the quickest way to get an answer.
I have uploaded it to google drive:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 5_mvcKfOn7
Strangely when I open the file, write the mesh and run the solver, it runs with no problem. Can you paste your system info (Help | About) and attach the complete output of your report view please?
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

Of course, thank you for your helpI.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14825 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a0ff629747d5d73567075821852a8cdaadcf51c5
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

I hope you mean the output window "reportview" in the German translation. At the very beginning when I start FC already comes an error and the cfd-wb is not displayed to me although it is installed. that's been around for about a year, since the download on the addon manger works and blueCFD-core is for download in the settings. I think that has nothing to do with this problem but still it is strange.
Attachments
report-view.txt
(105.42 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Last edited by shIxx on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

shIxx wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 pm Of course, thank you for your help

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.14825 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a0ff629747d5d73567075821852a8cdaadcf51c5
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

I hope you mean the output window "reportview" in the German translation. At the very beginning when I start FC already comes an error and the cfd-wb is not displayed to me although it is installed. that's been around for about a year, since the download on the addon manger works and blueCFD-core is for download in the settings. I think that has nothing to do with this problem but still I find it strange.
Thanks for the output. It looks as if you installed cfMesh a while ago before we made some modifications. As a result, although the mesh looks good, the process is terminating before it is fully complete. If you re-do the cfMesh installation from the Preferences window, I think this should solve your problem.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

shIxx wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:36 pm I hope you mean the output window "reportview" in the German translation. At the very beginning when I start FC already comes an error and the cfd-wb is not displayed to me although it is installed. that's been around for about a year, since the download on the addon manger works and blueCFD-core is for download in the settings. I think that has nothing to do with this problem but still it is strange.
The error is generated by the CFD workbench. This is a separate development from the CfdOF workbench so I can't really comment.
shIxx

Post by shIxx »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:50 pm Thanks for the output. It looks as if you installed cfMesh a while ago before we made some modifications. As a result, although the mesh looks good, the process is terminating before it is fully complete. If you re-do the cfMesh installation from the Preferences window, I think this should solve your problem.
Thank you it works.
Straight forward. You look at the stystem info and the output file and you know whats the problem .
You are really a professional. Thumbs up!

I'm surprised that so far all other simulations worked well with this broken installation. Anyway, I reinstalled everything (blueCFD, cfMesh and HiSA)
As I installed cfmesh just showed:

Code: Select all

downloading cfmesh.
extract ...
building .... please wait
and then Log: C:/ ...........................
I thought it was done and it just shows me where to find the logfile, so I hit "Apply". Then the mesher did not worked anymore and broke off with an error. So I installed cfMesher again and found out that something is happening in the output window. I waited until finally "insatllation complete" was showen.
That took almost 15 minutes ... is this normal for a 15mb file?
Same for HiSA and this had only 0.25mb downloaded.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

shIxx wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:39 am So I installed cfMesher again and found out that something is happening in the output window. I waited until finally "insatllation complete" was showen.
That took almost 15 minutes ... is this normal for a 15mb file?
Same for HiSA and this had only 0.25mb downloaded.
The code has to be compiled in the OpenFOAM environment - this is what takes the time.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

Wind on building, comparison of Hisa/simpleFoam solvers.
House 8x8x6,5 m (simulation at half body for saving computing time)
Inlet: v=42 m/s (150 km/h)
Fluid air, temperature 290 K.
Mesher: snappyhexmesh with refinement zones.

Hisa: resulting force on building 72 kN, drag-coefficient 1,27
simplefoam: 65 kN force, drag coefficient 1,14.
According to my DIN-manual, the correct drag-coefficient is between
1,2-1,3 (depending on roof-tilt)

Hisa runs longer, but gives a more accurate p-residual, which is needed for
the force calculation.

In my opinion Hisa can be used for such calculations too, not "only" for
aircraft-design.
house.JPG
house.JPG (78.73 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
hisa.JPG
hisa.JPG (62.5 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
simplefoam.JPG
simplefoam.JPG (62.13 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

thschrader wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:48 pm Wind on building, comparison of Hisa/simpleFoam solvers.
House 8x8x6,5 m (simulation at half body for saving computing time)
Inlet: v=42 m/s (150 km/h)
Fluid air, temperature 290 K.
Mesher: snappyhexmesh with refinement zones.

Hisa: resulting force on building 72 kN, drag-coefficient 1,27
simplefoam: 65 kN force, drag coefficient 1,14.
According to my DIN-manual, the correct drag-coefficient is between
1,2-1,3 (depending on roof-tilt)

Hisa runs longer, but gives a more accurate p-residual, which is needed for
the force calculation.

In my opinion Hisa can be used for such calculations too, not "only" for
aircraft-design.
house.JPG
hisa.JPG
simplefoam.JPG
Interesting observation, thanks. The flux-splitting scheme used does have a low Mach correction and seems to perform quite well under those conditions, but we haven't studied it comprehensively so I am wary about making any promises.