IFC export not working

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
hvfrancesco

IFC export not working

Post by hvfrancesco »

hello, I'm trying to setup freecad to import and export IFC files on Ubuntu 18.04 using freecad-daily packages provided by maintainers ppa repository (version at present is 0.19~pre1~201909192326~ubuntu18.04.1)
I've already localy installed ifcopenshell for my python version (3.6) and if I write
import ifcopenshell
in freecad python console I get no errors and the python module seems to get imported fine, but when I try to export a model to IFC, then I get the: following error:::::::

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 3, in <module>
<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'exportIFC'

any suggestion on what I am possibly doing wrong? any help appreciated

best to all, francesco
Last edited by hvfrancesco on Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
hvfrancesco

Re: IFC export and import not working

Post by hvfrancesco »

I've checked freecad-daily-runtime package from daily repository, and there is importIFC.py module and importing seems actually to work fine.
There is also an exportIFCHelper.py, but no exportIFC.py apparently
hvfrancesco

Re: IFC export not working

Post by hvfrancesco »

ok, after some investigation it seems 64bit build of freecad-daily in ppa got stuck to a previous version due to a build failure, and therefore is not probably up to date with the necessary changes to freecad-daily-runtime after the importIFC module refactoring.
Waiting for the next daily ppa build to see if the problem is solved.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

or downlod the Python files from github manually.

Where did you get ifcopenshell from? Which version? 0.5 or 0.6

I would recommend 0.6 if you work with the latest dev version of FreeCAD.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Maybe try AppImage, no need to compile.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

hvfrancesco wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:26 am ok, after some investigation it seems 64bit build of freecad-daily in ppa got stuck to a previous version due to a build failure, and therefore is not probably up to date with the necessary changes to freecad-daily-runtime after the importIFC module refactoring.
Waiting for the next daily ppa build to see if the problem is solved.
You are correct.
vocx wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:22 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:56 pm P.S. I should mention since I don't think I had explicitly, but the daily builds were already broken before your PR and I had disabled them so they will only attempt a build manually now, I was a bit too busy to try to investigate what the problem was.
Yes, you mentioned it before. I think many of us noticed that they stopped working around the 20th August, and then they became available again on 12th September, and now there are problems again.
The AppImage is probably a better alternative now. But I still think the daily builds make sense for Ubuntu so we should try to fix those.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

A note for who meets such issues (a python file missing from the ubuntu PPA package, typically a "unable to load module" error):
The list of python files that are bundled with the PPA is defined here: https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/f ... me.install
That list must be updated manually. It happens sometimes that a developer adds a python file to the FreeCAD source code and forgets to updates that list. Fortunately, you can help! Locate the missing module in the FreeCAD source code (use the "find file" button on https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD) and check that the corresponding .py file exists on the salsa.debian.org list. If not, you can create yourself an acount there, and you'll be able to edit the file directly online, add the missing file, and create a pull request.