Freecad crash (acces error)

This forum section is only for IFC-related issues
jureko

Freecad crash (acces error)

Post by jureko »

Hi,
is any way 'turn on' skipping invalid objects on import ifc files? When import attached files got acces error, and FreeCAD hangs. Have to import lot of files and manually checking is lot of trouble

ifcopenshell from: ifcopenshell-python-38-v0.6.0-0d93633-win64

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21329 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2330eef823b32ac412d839031cc174353a76b013
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: Polish/Poland (pl_PL)
Attachments
160802.ifc
(31.53 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
155879.ifc
(34.53 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
106195.ifc
(34.93 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
lambda

Re: Freecad crash (acces error)

Post by lambda »

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want, but maybe looking at Preferences -> Import/Export -> IFC import helps?

Harald
jureko

Post by jureko »

lambda wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:26 pm Hi,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want, but maybe looking at Preferences -> Import/Export -> IFC import helps?

Harald
So, when I'm trying import lot of ifc files into one new file, few files making problem. FreeCAD dont import these files and hangs. Is any way to skip these files automatically? Something like 'on error: go next'?
--
jureko
lambda

Post by lambda »

How do you go about this "import lots of ifc files into one new file"? Are you scripting this in python? Can you share the error you are getting?
jureko

Post by jureko »

lambda wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:26 pm How do you go about this "import lots of ifc files into one new file"? Are you scripting this in python? Can you share the error you are getting?
starting FreeCAD, next 'File/new file', next file/Import, selecting files to import (expml. 100 files, without python script). After importing few files got error (acces error) end FreeCAD freeze. Any way to skip wrong files?
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (85.55 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Access violation errors often come from grphics card/driver. Try with 0.19, look at the Known OS specific issues and add your FreeCAD infos if the problem persists.

It is called a crash if FreeCAD terminates all of a sudden by itself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
lambda

Post by lambda »

jureko wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:57 pm starting FreeCAD, next 'File/new file', next file/Import, selecting files to import (expml. 100 files, without python script). After importing few files got error (acces error) end FreeCAD freeze. Any way to skip wrong files?
Interesting I have not been aware this this possible.

Well the only idea I have is to script the import in python:

Something like this might get you started:

Code: Select all

import importIFC

for file in files:
	importIFC.insert(file, FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Name)
However this won't prevent FreeCAD from crashing, so you would need some other logic to determine which files loaded successfully and update your list of files.

Also in my experience many of these crashes come from ifcopenshell, not FreeCAD. To make a list of bad files, you might just try processing them with ifcopenshell directly. (Also updateing ifcopenshell might help, as some such crashes have been fixed recently.)

To make FreeCAD resistant to ifcopenshell crashes, we would need to run ifcopenshell in a separate thread. I'd like to see that, but I guess it isn't possible in the moment.

HTH,
Harald