Thumbnailprovider.dll

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rasomei

Thumbnailprovider.dll

Post by rasomei »

Hello,

i would like to have thumbnails for my freecad-projects under Windows 7, but i can not compile. Is anybody there who has already compiled the dll
and can give it to me?

thanks a lot.

rasomei
wmayer
Founder

Re: Thumbnailprovider.dll

Post by wmayer »

In the attached zip there is the Win64 and the Win32 DLL. To register it follow these instructions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regsvr32
Note, you need admin rights therefore.
Attachments
thumbnail.zip
(145.53 KiB) Downloaded 2141 times
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi
done thanks
icones avec apercu du dessin
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Just tried and it works ok (Windows 8.1 x64). Is this enabled in the windows installer packages (I am mostly using latest dev builds) ?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

kisolre wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:12 pm Just tried and it works ok (Windows 8.1 x64). Is this enabled in the windows installer packages (I am mostly using latest dev builds) ?
Don't think so because the v0.19 installers will be changed not to require admin rights any more. However, the plugin must be installed as a shell extension to Windows Explorer and therefore requires admin permission.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

It is a nice addition and not been visible to the users is a pity. I can't find reference in the site to this possibility. Adding this info to installation documentation and providing the recent DLL would be nice.
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

I like the thumbnail.... We should try to add this to the installer...
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:19 pm Don't think so because the v0.19 installers will be changed not to require admin rights any more. However, the plugin must be installed as a shell extension to Windows Explorer and therefore requires admin permission.
Note that you can of course install FC using admin permissions. So the user has the choice: If he is admin, he can install FC for all users or only for himself. If he is not admin, he can installer FC at least for him.

Conncerning the thumbnails, there is an NSIS library to perform ths installation of the required DLL. I will have a look the next days and implement this in the installer.
Too bad that I missed this thread. sgrogan kindly just pointed me to this. Please CC me the next time for Win installer issues.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:48 pm Conncerning the thumbnails, there is an NSIS library to perform the installation of the required DLL.
I implemented this now but the result is very disappointing:
example view
example view
explorer_e9EuIZ4JYt.png (188.15 KiB) Viewed 2305 times
Only 3 files get thumbnails. The problem is in my opinion that in the settings, General section, the option Save thumbnail into project file... is not checked by default. The vast majority of users use the default and also I first discovered this feature while writing the corresponding Wiki page.

So I can implement to register the DLL file necessary to get thumbnails, but I would also like to have the thumbnail saving option turned on by default that our users see the advantage.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

As "Recent files" functionality of Start workbench uses file thumbnail, whenever available, i agree that the option to add a thumbnail to the file should be set to ON, by default.