FreeCAD 18.1/Ubuntu 18.04.2. LTS: no workbenches after install

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Xav-83

Re: FreeCAD 18.1/Ubuntu 18.04.2. LTS: no workbenches after install

Post by Xav-83 »

it's a little better but managed a workshop I have this message.

with "Version: 0.19.16207 (Git) AppImage" , I did not have this problem

PS: I did not intervene in the folder / usr / lib / freecad / Mod, nor even in ./Freecad

2019-04-16-203558_1366x768_scrot.png
2019-04-16-203558_1366x768_scrot.png (123.8 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 pm Be careful when removing stuff in /usr/lib/freecad/Mod, that folder should be managed by the package so if you remove everything in there you may need to reinstall the package. How did you get stuff in there anyway? That location should be getting managed by the system and not at the user level.
If you recall, the freecad-community PPA did (and still) provide installation of add-on modules through packages, they installed files in /usr/lib/freecad/Mod; the reason was that it was system-wide so multiple end users on the same system would not need to each install modules in their home folder. This was an initial request from a high school teacher in the French forum.

But I haven't seen anyone still using those old packages in quite some time. Xav-83's screenshots show it's looking for modules in his home folder.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Ah, hmm... in that case the correct thing to do would be to remove the packages rather than rm -rf'ing. I'm glad you reminded me about the PPA though because I'll eventually have to do something about those packages, as the location /usr/lib/freecad/Mod is now a symlink managed by the freecad-runtime package, pointing at /usr/share/freecad/Mod, but those packages will create the folder /usr/lib/freecad/Mod by themselves, which prevents the symlink from existing... tricky.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @Xav-83

Best to follow and report in this thread:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34981

P.S. That issue was resolved for FreeCAD 0.18 stable AppImage (older toolchain). Going forward, we will need to find a solution for FreeCAD 0.19 development AppImages (newer toolchain).
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

NormandC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:25 pm Be careful when removing stuff in /usr/lib/freecad/Mod, that folder should be managed by the package so if you remove everything in there you may need to reinstall the package. How did you get stuff in there anyway? That location should be getting managed by the system and not at the user level.
If you recall, the freecad-community PPA did (and still) provide installation of add-on modules through packages, they installed files in /usr/lib/freecad/Mod; the reason was that it was system-wide so multiple end users on the same system would not need to each install modules in their home folder. This was an initial request from a high school teacher in the French forum.

But I haven't seen anyone still using those old packages in quite some time. Xav-83's screenshots show it's looking for modules in his home folder.
Do we need that PPA any more now that we have the FreeCAD built in add-ons manager? If it is no longer needed perhaps we should shut it down?

I wonder if that is why Renato had all that trouble getting it to work on Ubuntu 18.04 when mine had worked perfectly, since I have never used that community PPA, perhaps he had.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p300765

It was the same directory.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:24 am Do we need that PPA any more now that we have the FreeCAD built in add-ons manager? If it is no longer needed perhaps we should shut it down?
I'm sorry Jim, but you seem to be out of the loop regarding the freecad-community PPA. :)

Kurt already re-purposed it months ago.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=31046

That being said, maybe deleting all the packaged modules (freecad-extras-*) would be a good thing.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Unfortunately just deleting them would not fix the issue for people who already have the package installed, only prevent new people from getting it... to fix it for current users I'd have to upload new versions of the packages.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Hannu

Post by Hannu »

For what it is worth, I experienced the "empty freecad" when 0.18 was released...
"Daily" still worked and I am used to it so no haste...

... finally I did:

<del>
---- 8<---
</del>

Ahh...

Code: Select all

$ history | grep freecad
 1974  upd sudo apt-get purge freecad freecad-common freecad-python2 freecad-runtime libfreecad-python2-0.18
 1975  upd sudo apt-get install freecad freecad-common freecad-python2 freecad-runtime libfreecad-python2-0.18
"upd" is a script that does ...
sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean
... after having done "$ARGUMENTS"
Last edited by Hannu on Thu May 23, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
/Hannu - engineer & mild :geek:
- Embedded, Computer, Software, Electronic, Fault analysis. A&D Photography http://flickr.com/arkane
- Mechanics, FDM 3D-prints, Solder, Lathe, Mill, Weld -work. ISO Audits, Claim, Deviation, Corrective action
thegavs

Post by thegavs »

This worked for me as well!

Thank you
spiros

Post by spiros »

Hi,
It's been a while since i last tried to work with freecad, but when i now open it, i get an error similar as the one mentioned in this post. I have no workbences to work with, except the ones i had added and folders of them are still in /usr/lib/freecad/Mod/. It's been nice to be able to work with these workbences as well, but as i understand these will have to be removed for now in order to regain access to the main program. I see that Hannu has suggested a number of terminal commands in order for freecad to work again. However i am not sure what to type exactly, following his example.
At the first line he shows:
sudo apt-get purge freecad freecad-common # TWO packages, I THINK the second package was freecad-common

where he refers about two packages, and as far as i can tell, the first being freecad-common but the second is not referred. Does anyone have any idea what commands i should type in order to have freecad working again?

I have read that only deleting the freecad Mod directory won't solve anything..

The freecad version currently installed is 0.18.1 and my operating system is Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS