SoQt / coin ?

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

SoQt / coin ?

Post by freman »

I'm running Fed30 which has SoQt pulling in coin3 , so it look like I need to build SoQt as well. I started searching for source and hit this:

https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/soqt/src/default/BUGS.txt
Old Coin GUI binding for Qt, replaced by Quarter.
It seems the lastest documented update is 2007 !!

if SoQt was "old" in 2007, why is it still being used?

TIA.
vocx
Veteran

Re: SoQt / coin ?

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:48 am ...

TIA.
Where is it being used?

FreeCAD uses Quarter. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... ui/Quarter

It seems that many functions and classes have the "SoQt" prefixes in the names, but these are from Quarter not SoQt.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

FreeCAD itself doesn't use SoQt any more but it uses pivy (the Python wrapper for Coin3d) and that still depends on SoQt.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

thanks vocx, I ran cmake and saw output about "SoQt not so not using " and thought this was yet another thing I needed to build or provide headers for. Also the Fedora package manager pulls in coin3 and SoQt as a deps. again making the think it was needed.

So Quarter is in the FreeCAD, and I don't need to bother. Thanks for the clarification. Saved a lot of messing around for nothing.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

wmayer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:46 am
FreeCAD itself doesn't use SoQt any more but it uses pivy (the Python wrapper for Coin3d) and that still depends on SoQt.
Last time I build FreeCAD it was py2/qt4 , I built coin4 , pivy and OCCT from source. Do I still need SoQt , or is that just for coin3 ?
thanks.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Do I still need SoQt , or is that just for coin3
As said SoQt is only needed by pivy because it wants to create Python wrappers for the classes of SoQt.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:19 am Last time I build FreeCAD it was py2/qt4 , I built coin4 , pivy and OCCT from source. Do I still need SoQt , or is that just for coin3 ?
thanks.
Coin4 is basically the same as Coin3. So if you already built Coin4, you already used the SoQt sources, I presume.

Pivy (pivy.coin) is not required by FreeCAD at build time. It is only used by the Draft Workbench at runtime. If you don't have Pivy in your system, the Draft Workbench will not load, and neither will other workbenches that depend on it, like Arch, BIM, Dodo, etc.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

thanks vocx, my primary interest is Path WB , though I do need Draft sometimes.

Just going from memory, I recall some cmake output along the lines of : "SoQt not found, so not incuding it". I cannot recall what package that was ( coin or pivy ) , I assumed that meant it did not matter but have other errors with qt5 build complaining about "missing tools". I have not been able to work out what package this relates to and thought it may be SoQt related. I mentioned this in another thread a couple months back and no one could tell me what package ( or headers ) was missing .

I will have to find time to go through all this build process again and post some proper output snippets.
Last edited by freman on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

freman wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:29 pm ... I mentioned this in another thread a couple months back and no one could tell me what package ( or headers ) was missing .

I will have to find time to go through all this build process again and post some proper output snippets.
You are the one using the inferior Linux distribution, right? I'm sorry. It's just so easy to compile FreeCAD in Debian/Ubuntu with Python 3 and Qt5. I don't know why it's so hard for other distributions.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

vocx wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:48 pm I don't know why it's so hard for other distributions.
They don't have
kkremitzki wrote:
A Debian maintainer that flows things down to Ubuntu, and fills in the gaps on the FreeCAD PPA

"That was easy"

Thanks Kurt!!!
"fight the good fight"