Linux Mint 20: PPA does not support focal

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
derep

Linux Mint 20: PPA does not support focal

Post by derep »

Hi,

I am trying to install freecad-daily on Linux Mint 20 after upgrading, but I'm getting the following error.

Code: Select all

➜  ~ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily
Cannot add PPA: ''This PPA does not support focal''.
Is there any way to know when the PPA support for focal will come out?

Many thanks.

Joe
nic

Re: Linux Mint 20: PPA does not support focal

Post by nic »

Hi derep,

I switched to Appimages since I'm running foca. It works very well https://wiki.freecadweb.org/AppImage.
The regular Appimage has now an auto-updater included which makes update convenient.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I'll have the PPA working this weekend.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
derep

Post by derep »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 pm I'll have the PPA working this weekend.
Ah wow, that's brilliant. Thank you so much!
derep

Post by derep »

nic wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:43 pm Hi derep,

I switched to Appimages since I'm running foca. It works very well https://wiki.freecadweb.org/AppImage.
The regular Appimage has now an auto-updater included which makes update convenient.
Thanks for the tip. Given the response from kkremitski I'll wait till the PPA is out, but it's good to know for the future
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

derep wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:22 pm Thanks for the tip. Given the response from kkremitski I'll wait till the PPA is out, but it's good to know for the future
It's taken a while since the release of Ubuntu 20.04, but it seems it should be available any time now.

Close to freecad-daily from apt repository running on Ubunutu 20.04?

By the way, there is also two Ubuntu Snaps available. They work similar to the AppImage.

And there is also the Conda package and compiling yourself.

I personally prefer Kremitkzi's PPA, but there are certainly different options to get the latest program.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.