Impossible to download FreeCAD binaries from GitHub

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
flynth

Impossible to download FreeCAD binaries from GitHub

Post by flynth »

Hi,

I've been trying unsuccessfully for last two days to download latest stable windows release from Github. Github seems to be throttling downloads larger than few meg to few KB/s. After an hour or so downloads drop as probably CDN github uses on the backend ticket expires. I've been searching everywhere for a working mirror, or a torrent link, but there seems to be nothing there. It is kind of ironic it is easier to find a working download of all kinds of cracked paid software than an OS project ;-)

Could someone please send me a download link for the 64 bit windows install downloadable from somewhere else than github?
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Impossible to download FreeCAD binaries from GitHub

Post by Kunda1 »

Yea, this is becoming a PITA with github.
Do you mind using bittorrent?
https://fosstorrents.com/softwares/cad/freecad/
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
qwerty_f

Post by qwerty_f »

Same here. github announced 6 hours and after one or two it completely broke. The torrent announces 25 minutes...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

qwerty_f wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:27 am Same here. github announced 6 hours and after one or two it completely broke. The torrent announces 25 minutes...
How many seeders on the torrent ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
qwerty_f

Post by qwerty_f »

One. It took about that time...
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Maybe it could be mentioned as an alternative download location in the 0.19_pre download page?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kisolre wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:14 pm Maybe it could be mentioned as an alternative download location in the 0.19_pre download page?
sgrogan wrote: pinged by pinger macro
Back-of-the-napkin response:
**Important Note:**
We've been receiving reports from users about difficulty downloading FreeCAD from Github. We're not certain if this is Github throttling the speed or issues with its AWS instances. Regardless, we apologize for the inconvenience. As we work on figuring out a solution, there exists a bittorrent option through FOSSTorrents (https://fosstorrents.com/softwares/cad/freecad/).
flynth

Post by flynth »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:12 pm Yea, this is becoming a PITA with github.
Do you mind using bittorrent?
https://fosstorrents.com/softwares/cad/freecad/
Thank you. I don't mind at all. At least I can get the software now.

This reminds me of the time when Microsoft bought GitHub. Back then at my (then)work place we used to use Bitbucket a lot, and everything was fine with our repos. Sure, it cost some money, but it was well worth it. Then MS bought Github and somehow convinced top management migrating over a thousand of our fully CI/CD pipeline integrated repos to github is the best thing ever... Few days after few months long project to switch all our development repos to github was semi-complete github started throttling binary downloads. Various bull**** excuses from MS continued for weeks until eventually I was allowed to run a sync of all our repos to AWS code commit overnight(officially as a "Business Continuity Solution", but everyone knew why we had to do it). The bill ended up much higher than the previous butbucket cost, but at least we had an extra backup and it both worked well and "we were using github" ;-/

I didn't realize years later they are still doing that. How is it possible people use this service at all for binary blob storage? Do they only do it for some locations?

Anyway while I was typing this post the torrent finished downloading no problem. The link to it should definitely be on the main download page.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

flynth wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:54 pm github started throttling binary downloads
Indeed. Thanks for sharing. Yet another reason why we'll need to eventually figure out an in-house solution for both hosting source code and CI.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

As I said in another thread, I download from GitHub frequently, and I have *never* seen any evidence of throttling. I typically download 300-400 MB in less than a minute.

I suspect this is a regional server issue, not a global GitHub issue.

Does not help, of course, if you are in one of the "regions". :?

Gene