FreeCAD 0.18 Addon Mgr Will Not Install Fasteners Workbench from GitHub

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dcdoodle

FreeCAD 0.18 Addon Mgr Will Not Install Fasteners Workbench from GitHub

Post by dcdoodle »

Hello. I'm brand new to FreeCAD...downloaded FC 0.18 tonight. In a tutorial, it mentioned a great workbench named Fasteners that was available on GitHub. I've downloaded the ZIP file onto my iMac running Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina. I open the Addon Manager and it shows only a 3D Printing workbench in the Workbench tab. Can someone please guide me on what to do to add the Fasteners workbench?

Next, I just read a post from someone running Mac OS Catalina and was using FreeCAD 0.19. The FreeCAD website had me click the button for downloading the Mac version and 0.18 was the version they sent. So, how does one obtain version 0.19??

Lastly, that same poster discovered that Apple no longer supports something??GL and that FreeCAD 0.19 will not work on the newest Mac OS 11, named Big Sur. So, does this mean that after killing myself going through the steep learning curve as a beginner learning FreeCAD, that if I upgrade my OS or buy a new iMac, that I won't be able to continue using FreeCAD??

Please help.
Thanks!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.18 Addon Mgr Will Not Install Fasteners Workbench from GitHub

Post by kisolre »

Download link: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
For the other questions as far as I know people are trying to find a solution. The simplest that comes in mind and | expect will always work is to run FreeeCAD under Linux VM.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD 0.18 Addon Mgr Will Not Install Fasteners Workbench from GitHub

Post by keithsloan52 »

dcdoodle wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:26 am Hello. I'm brand new to FreeCAD...downloaded FC 0.18 tonight. In a tutorial, it mentioned a great workbench named Fasteners that was available on GitHub. I've downloaded the ZIP file onto my iMac running Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina. I open the Addon Manager and it shows only a 3D Printing workbench in the Workbench tab. Can someone please guide me on what to do to add the Fasteners workbench?

Next, I just read a post from someone running Mac OS Catalina and was using FreeCAD 0.19. The FreeCAD website had me click the button for downloading the Mac version and 0.18 was the version they sent. So, how does one obtain version 0.19??

Lastly, that same poster discovered that Apple no longer supports something??GL and that FreeCAD 0.19 will not work on the newest Mac OS 11, named Big Sur. So, does this mean that after killing myself going through the steep learning curve as a beginner learning FreeCAD, that if I upgrade my OS or buy a new iMac, that I won't be able to continue using FreeCAD??

Please help.
Thanks!
You can download 0.19 for MacOS from here https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre
Scroll down to the dmg link.