Why FreeCAD probably cannot be downloaded on slow connections from GitHub

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
mildred593

Why FreeCAD probably cannot be downloaded on slow connections from GitHub

Post by mildred593 »

I am trying for two days to download the latest FreeCAD (0.19) and failing because the connection stops in between. using wget -c to resume the download results in corrupt binaries.

I think I know why FreeCAD is not downloading properly. GitHub is using AWS S3 under the hood with pre-signed URLs valid only for some amount of time. After that, I believe S3 is closing the connection. Probably the redirect between GitHub and S3 is the reason why resuming a download fails too. That means on a fast connection you can download, and not on a slow connection. I verified this by using a server I have online with a fast Internet connection, and indeed, the download is successful and checksum is OK.

I believe the solution could be to host the files outside of AWS S3 until GitHub solves the problem.

edit : I sent a support request to GitHub
Last edited by mildred593 on Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Why FreeCAD probably cannot be downloaded on slow connections from GitHub

Post by openBrain »

Maybe the problem is that FreeCAD is compiled daily so download link becomes obsolete every 24 hours ???
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

openBrain wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:10 pm Maybe the problem is that FreeCAD is compiled daily so download link becomes obsolete every 24 hours ???
No, I think this is another issue all together. I even mentioned it on the AppImage page (in the banner at the top). It may also have to do with web connections (such as a poor wifi connection) that are not stable.
See https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageUpd ... -519087952
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

You can try to clone from a mirror like the one I have set up : https://framagit.org/freecad/FreeCAD
Then you change eventually change remote to get diff from github.

Edit : Oops, never mind, you are talking about binaries, not source code.
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.