Leaving the freecad-project

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
triplus
Veteran

Re: Leaving the freecad-project

Post by triplus »

Hi @looo

Sorry but that just ain't going to work. I was preparing a PR, for shutting down the Travis instance over the weekend and this just feels off. You have invested way too much effort in packaging during the development cycle and now is the time to profit from all that work.

I remember when i was still a somewhat fresh FreeCAD member, there was a logo competition i participated in. At that time i didn't know yet, the challenge itself was important, and not the outcome. In the following years that logo competition ended up being a guide for me, it gave me understanding on when the peak was reached and when i started the descend on the other side. Making way for new people, to reach the same.

Now what i am trying to say is i am coming back, from the other side, will carry you over if needed. Let me stand with you on that peak again. Can you do that for me?

Take a week off, if you are not under some corona lock down, result to things like the paragliding, just please stay safe. I will hold off the PR until May. Hopefully by then we won't be toying with the release anymore and some more certain time frame will be known.

In addition i feel that you need to be there, finishing the migration to new module structure. Once the next development cycle start, please create a PR, obsoleting the old module style support, and let others sort out the porting over during the course of the next development cycle. It would be nice if you would provide some general guidance, for people here asking. There is an army of new developers now, they like pep8, like to restructure modules, please, give them some work. As for the modules that won't make the transition, that's life, it happened once already, Py2/Qt4 -> Py3/Qt5.

And we are finally entering the Py2 free development cycle, and you would leave now?

C'mon, give me something?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

triplus, as I'm sure this was not at all your intention, let me say that this sounds a bit respectless. It has to me a bit of the sound of "Come on, it can't be that bad; take a breath, drink something - and then continue!". looo has stated very clear that he wants to refrain from his FreeCAD activities right now; and, of course, if he doesn't want to give it, he doesn't have to give a reason for that step.

I think we should accept it the way it is - with great regret and sympathy.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:21 pm triplus, as I'm sure this was not at all your intention, let me say that this sounds a bit respectless. It has to me a bit of the sound of "Come on, it can't be that bad; take a breath, drink something - and then continue!". looo has stated very clear that he wants to refrain from his FreeCAD activities right now; and, of course, if he doesn't want to give it, he doesn't have to give a reason for that step.

I have some sympathies for both - Sad that @looo has decided to throw in the towel. Somebody should design a nice certificate, signed by the prime developers on behalf of all us, thanking him for his efforts. Don't know if he would put on his study wall but he might.

I also feel for @triplus because looo's going it going to hurt all of us but probably triplus efforts most of all .
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

With all this covid-19 tragedy everybody seems to be using zoom.

How about a few of us send some beer money via paypal to a trustworthy leader like yorik and he sends the money to looo for a few beers etc. (Trouble is I think he is a cyclist so maybe not so keen on alcohol)

We then have a zoom meeting to raise a class to looo and wish him well.
Time zones might be a challenge so might have to arrange two that looo could participate in.

Anyway just a suggestion.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Nice idea. In the German forum we use jitsi, open source, nothing to install.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

chrisb wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:21 pm triplus, as I'm sure this was not at all your intention, let me say that this sounds a bit respectless. It has to me a bit of the sound of "Come on, it can't be that bad; take a breath, drink something - and then continue!". looo has stated very clear that he wants to refrain from his FreeCAD activities right now; and, of course, if he doesn't want to give it, he doesn't have to give a reason for that step.

The last comment @looo made did shed some light, regarding reasons. Therefore don't say that was not done. When somebody is emotionally drained, trying to say something encouraging for sure doesn't show lack of respect to that person.

Anyway, in short, @looo we are here for you if you need us. That was my point. And for sure you have reached a peak on the FreeCAD mountain, don't for a moment believe you didn't.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This thread is kind of heart-breaking. I'm glad to see concern and care from the community. Getting FreeCAD to where it is and beyond is a monumental effort. It's no joke. It is time-consuming and without pay and it it thankless at times from a worldwide public that demands parity with proprietary solutions out there.

@looo seriously if you need something, please say something to someone.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

@triplus
So you want me to stay until 0.19 release? I don't think that will change a lot, although I have some ideas about the release and how to handle that on conda-forge.

@all You make it very hard for me to leave this project. Still, I think I made the right decision. Stepping back and maybe find some new motivation.
But I don't think things are that bad. With @sgrogan helping out with the weekly builds and maybe someone other having a closer look at conda-feedstocks I have a good feeling with conda working as a sustainable packaging-system.
For sure it's not easy to understand all the different "gears" in the conda-packaging system. (I don't understand all of it either). Learning issue by issue is the way I got into this and I think is the only way to get a good understanding of the packaging system.

So I don't make this a hard stop. I will try to reduce the time spent on packaging to a minimum and hope others will try to continue the work.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks!
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:45 pm So I don't make this a hard stop. I will try to reduce the time spent on packaging to a minimum and hope others will try to continue the work.
This makes me happy :)
But looo please do not let us convince you to do something you are not happy with.

I will be the first to ask for and take your advise, but if you don't want to engage in any of those conversations, DON'T.
Try to get the joy and fun of FreeCAD back.

Remember you don't owe us anything, WE OWE YOU!
"fight the good fight"