Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: Fasteners workbench based on screw-maker

Post by shaise »

To center the rod in the hole, it is rather simple. Just select the rim of the hole before pressing the "threaded rod" button. If you select several holes, A rod will be created and centered on each of the selected holes.

shai
VanLaser

Post by VanLaser »

Oh, this is beautiful, thanks a lot (for both answering and the functionality) ! :)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

shaise wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:20 pm To center the rod in the hole, it is rather simple. Just select the rim of the hole before pressing the "threaded rod" button. If you select several holes, A rod will be created and centered on each of the selected holes.

shai
I think I never did, but really really thank you for the Fastener's WB. It is one of my favourite external WBs. It is just so cool to select the rim, get the screw in the hole (or invert if the direction is wrong), and then, when you move the main part, the screw follows the movement. It is just awesome. :D
nikolais

Post by nikolais »

Reposting my github issue here: https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_FastenersWB/issues/26

so, for example, I bought M2.5x12 ISO7380 screws,
I wanna use it for my project and I'm trying to make it's 3D model,
minimum size I can get is M3, this looks like an issue for me

maybe it's even better to have some custom screw creation tool, Eg. I have M3x30 screws, but it's 2mm long for me, I can cut it somehow (on lathe, or some saw) but I can't do it in workbench

Thanks!
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Nikolais,
nikolais wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 am so, for example, I bought M2.5x12 ISO7380 screws,

maybe it's even better to have some custom screw creation tool, Eg. I have M3x30 screws, but it's 2mm long for me, I can cut it somehow (on lathe, or some saw) but I can't do it in workbench

Thanks!
May be you should uodate your fasteners WB... Here the smalest screw i can get is 1.6mm.
Screws at Fasteners WB are sized according to DIN, what is "like you can buy it". In my mind it dosn't make much sense to have (or can make) individual sizes.
Gruß Herbert
nikolais

Post by nikolais »

herbk wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 am Hi Nikolais,
nikolais wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 am so, for example, I bought M2.5x12 ISO7380 screws,

Thanks!
May be you should uodate your fasteners WB... Here the smalest screw i can get is 1.6mm.
Screws at Fasteners WB are sized according to DIN, what is "like you can buy it". In my mind it dosn't make much sense to have (or can make) individual sizes.
Thanks for response, will try to update, I wasn't using it for a while, I was asked to post it here in github issue
Michael_Ding

Post by Michael_Ding »

Hello @shaise,

Please excuse me if this question is too simple, but I did search many documents and could not get the answer.

I'm making a part purely by script. I've learned to modify the parameters of a bolt after the bolt is added from GUI workbench "Fasteners". However, I could not find the script or code to add the bolt from "Fasteners workbench". I tried recording the adding action with Macro, and I researched the document of Fasteners' github, but I could not find the way. So, could you or anyone please give me a clue, or a link for me to follow?

Thanks
Michael
shaise

Post by shaise »

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

shaise wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:05 pm
I added the answer to the README.md file (PR) in a new section called Adding Fasteners via Script (it should actually be 'Python')
See the preview:
https://github.com/luzpaz/FreeCAD_Faste ... via-python

Edit: fixed
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
shaise

Post by shaise »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:13 pm
I added the answer to the README.md file
Great! thanks.
shai