Recreating a Libre/Open Source Otoscope in FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
eddriesen

Re: Recreating a Libre/Open Source Otoscope in FreeCAD

Post by eddriesen »

vocx wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:20 pm
eddriesen wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:27 am ...
I was trying to use assembly2, but I got a errors ( cloning github version manually, and using the addon manager) .
Do not use Assembly2. This workbench is no longer maintained nor developed. Its successor is A2plus Workbench, which is derived from the former, but is not backwards compatible. A2plus is relatively stable and is recommended by most users. However, if you don't need true assembly capabilities you may just position the bodies in space instead, with the help of other external workbenches.
Yup, figured that already out about all the assy workbenches... I'm between teaching myself and doing the works ....
I've done an intermittent post of my file at https://github.com/eddriesen/Otoscope/t ... urce_files .
Like you can see, I'm going with your second suggestion atm.
Frankie-E4Rdesigns

Post by Frankie-E4Rdesigns »

Hi everyone!

My name's Frankie Talarico, I'm the designer of the otoscope. I thought I'd register an account and chime in on the conversation here.

First off, I'm very happy that the FreeCad community including eddriesen and luzpaz are chipping in their valuable time to help make the otoscope more open source.

As Tarek mentioned previously, I developed all of the otoscope parts in TinkerCad. TinkerCad allows you to export as an stl and obj file type, nothing else unfortunately. However, I am able to share a design with others. I can make a clone project with all my parts in it, then share it with some of your TinkerCad accounts? That way, you can see my 'thought process' in making these parts, along with various dimensions you may need.

I'll be looking into this tonight. Let me know if this helps!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Frankie-E4Rdesigns wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:34 pm I'll be looking into this tonight. Let me know if this helps!
Hi, and welcome to the FreeCAD forum. Glad you are posting. Sharing measurements and dimensions will be very helpful.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
eddriesen

Post by eddriesen »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:54 pm
Frankie-E4Rdesigns wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:34 pm I'll be looking into this tonight. Let me know if this helps!
Hi, and welcome to the FreeCAD forum. Glad you are posting. Sharing measurements and dimensions will be very helpful.
Yesssss!
Frankie-E4Rdesigns

Post by Frankie-E4Rdesigns »

Hey all, so here's a link to a project copy of my tinkerCAD files.

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/aQnvFK ... veTl7ZPhg=
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Frankie-E4Rdesigns wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:17 pm Hey all, so here's a link to a project copy of my tinkerCAD files.
Is there a way to get angles from tinkerkad objects? For example in Neck piece you used two boxes to cut the sides but how can the actual angle be determined? Ruller gives only the overal dimensions of the boxes in cardinal directions. Calculated angle looks like 12deg but what determines position of the boxes? Bottom or top wedge width? Or height of the side edge?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Frankie-E4Rdesigns wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:34 pm As Tarek mentioned previously, I developed all of the otoscope parts in TinkerCad. TinkerCad allows you to export as an stl and obj file type, nothing else unfortunately. However, I am able to share a design with others. I can make a clone project with all my parts in it, then share it with some of your TinkerCad accounts? That way, you can see my 'thought process' in making these parts, along with various dimensions you may need.
Hi Frankie. Just notice that what is actually interesting is to know where are the master/driving dimensions of your parts regarding the final product assembly & usage.
Advantage of people here is that we basically know the "flaws" of FreeCAD, and the good ways to have a highly parametric & robust model. ;)
So maybe some hand sketches or screenshots with master dimensions & important annotations could be helpful as well. According your available time. :)

@FCcommunity : not to hijack, but I think that there are plenty of this projects that are willing to be open source but get some difficulties achieving this with 3D modeling (software & hardware are generally well handled). What do you think about something like having a dedicated thread (or subforum) where open projects can "register" to get the help of the community to have their model done? I think that if some money earning is involved, we can agree that it is fully given to FreeCAD. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

openBrain wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:53 am @FCcommunity : not to hijack, but I think that there are plenty of this projects that are willing to be open source but get some difficulties achieving this with 3D modeling (software & hardware are generally well handled). What do you think about something like having a dedicated thread (or subforum) where open projects can "register" to get the help of the community to have their model done? I think that if some money earning is involved, we can agree that it is fully given to FreeCAD.
Great idea, IMO. Lets split this off in to a separate thread?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi all, best to make sure that you do things like this in standard FreeCAD without using any add-ons, for future compatibility. Especially don't use add-ons like the assembly ones that were initially only written as temporary hacks/conveniences, that are almost certainly dead ends from a development point of view.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:14 am Great idea, IMO. Lets split this off in to a separate thread?
Please do what you think is best. ;)
If needed, you or I can delete the hijacking part of the post to keep this topic focused.