BugTracker News: New feature requires ticket creation to have FC Info

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

BugTracker News: New feature requires ticket creation to have FC Info

Post by Kunda1 »

MantisBT has a feature called custom fields. I've experimented with adding one to the Reporting page that is conditional on if the user pastes their FreeCAD Help > About FreeCAD > Copy to clipboard.
Mantis-custom-field-reporting-page.png
Mantis-custom-field-reporting-page.png (96.6 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
There is a pending PR in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage/pull/47 to add some text that helps orient the user (just like in the fields above)

The only minor issue is that if a user doesn't add the snippet correctly or at all they get this generic page:
Mantis-custom-field-error.png
Mantis-custom-field-error.png (44.19 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
I'm asking the mantisbt devs on gitter if there is a way to customize this further, perhaps not even scroll away to an error screen but instead have some sort of inline popup that notifies the user what field needs to be filled out correctly.

Edit: FYI this is the regex in place:

Code: Select all

^([A-Z][\w\ ]+)\:\ ([\w\ \(\)\/\\\.\-]+)$
Test: https://regex101.com/r/sxfalb/4
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: BugTracker News: New feature requires ticket creation to have FC Info

Post by Kunda1 »

Note: if you're a power-user and dread the extra step added to opening a ticket, too bad :tongue:
Seriously though, if you are opening a ticket not related to the FreeCAD app, if you can figure out the regex you can simply put a simple sequence of strings to circumvent pasting the whole snippet. But if you abuse this, bad things are subject to happening :twisted:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Looks good!
I think it's better to have the extra field, even if the error message is not totally clear...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:16 pm Looks good!
I think it's better to have the extra field, even if the error message is not totally clear...
Thanks and I agree. BTW, would you mind please merging https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Homepage/pull/47 ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

How about errors during or even before startup? Compilation errors, broken packages, or an error occurs before the FreeCAD infos can be reached, then it can no longer be reported :cry: .
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:01 pm How about errors during or even before startup? Compilation errors, broken packages, or an error occurs before the FreeCAD infos can be reached, then it can no longer be reported :cry: .
They should be reported on the forum, but I take your point, I guess a workaround is to just type

<text>: <text>
and the form should be approved

Edit: Ideally we'd have a checkbox, but I'm not sure how to do that. I know that MantisBT has a custom field that is a checkbox but I'm not sure if I can associate with this custom field.

documentation: https://www.mantisbt.org/docs/master/en ... tions.html
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:09 pm ...
The only minor issue is that if a user doesn't add the snippet correctly or at all they get this generic page:
This thing is broken to me. I tried submitting two bug reports and it fails with application error #11 in every case.

I pasted the about information and it just rejected it. I hit back on the browser, and all information I had entered for the bug report was gone. Extremely infuriating. I tried several times, and just couldn't go through.

I submitted issue #4159, before you made this change, and that worked without problem.

I think the regular expression is choking on the first line.

In Ubuntu it is reported as this.

Making the regular expression too complicated is not good, as it will probably reject systems that produce unusual output.

Submit these bugs
Crash: when testing Draft Dimension
Crash: when using Draft Facebinder
Last edited by vocx on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Same here. This is really annoying as creating a bug report costs me considerable amount of time. So I'm glad I found your post. Automatism can be good, but it never should prohibit uncommon and yet correct use cases.

This is the bug report I wanted to enter:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-17 um 19.57.48.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-17 um 19.57.48.png (75.68 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-17 um 19.59.00.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-17 um 19.59.00.png (50.77 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
Please get it fixed soon, now I still have the tracker window open, and I definitely don't want to enter it a third time.
Kunda wrote:ping
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alright y'all, sorry for the troubles. I've removed the regex totally. I've made the field required but it already has default text in it so mantis will accept it in anycase (besides it being empty) and won't complain if you don't add your info.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Works again. But nevertheless I had to add the issue a third time. :roll: