Idea conver STL to Solid

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kadil

Idea conver STL to Solid

Post by kadil »

Hi,

It seems that conversion between STL and Solid Objects has been troublesome for many users and while trying unsucessfully to convert some files, I thought slicers slice stl's very quickly. Would it be possible (and a good idea) to:
1- convert the stl to gcode using Slic3r
2- import the gcode into FreeCAD
3- Sweep along the gcode path with a circle

Thoughts?

Also, since slicers can quickly process an stl into a representation of a solid, could this approach inspire better algorythm in FreeCAD?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Idea conver STL to Solid

Post by chrisb »

You mean you want to sweep along the GCode path with a rectangular section? I see some drawbacks with this:
1) Depending on the size of the section the object would be hollow
2) there is the danger of self intersections
3) probably most serious: I have never seen a sweep with nearly as many path segments as this would create. I doubt that FreeCAD can handle this within decent time
4) The tesselation of a mesh is already bad, the tesselation of this procedure would probably be worse.

Sorry to spoil the party, but I'm afraid that a completely different and extremely challenging approach is needed in order to get good solids, such as make a tesselated cylinder a FreeCAD cylinder again.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kadil

Post by kadil »

I see, that would be a large number of objects, thanks.

What about using the slicing apprach to build polygons in a plane and extrude them, usth user defined layer height. Would this number of objects be practical in FreeCAD?

I have a need, so I am probably brainstorming what everyone else tried years ago :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I still see the performance issue. The G-codes do not describe an area they describe just a path. This needs additional offsets and then it can be extruded to a solid. You would have a huge number of segments and a huge number of layers to fusion with a boolean union.
You may give it a try but I would guess that performance will drop significantly.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kadil

Post by kadil »

Sorry, i meant slice an stl file to produce the polygons, not slicing the gcode.