changing the way to work for fillet and chamfer features

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

changing the way to work for fillet and chamfer features

Post by Piero69 »

for a more efficiency i think the fillet and chamfer features should work differently, both the features should start and keep in "select" mode till i confer "ok" so i can select immediatly all the borders i want.

Currently i must add borders one by one wasting so much time
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: changing the way to work for fillet and chamfer features

Post by Kunda1 »

Piero69 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:46 am for a more efficiency i think the fillet and chamfer features should work differently, both the features should start and keep in "select" mode till i confer "ok" so i can select immediatly all the borders i want.

Currently i must add borders one by one wasting so much time
JFYI, If you elaborate and make a proposal, (it may take longer to write) but it has a higher probability to land and impact a developer who reads it.
So making a step-by-step detailed explanation. If you just jot down a quick request, no version info, no screenshot or screencast... it will get lost in the forum. For example, here is a template you can use:

What you are trying to achieve?
Short summary

What would you like to happen?
Summary: short summary
1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 3
4. Step 4

What is actually occurring?
Result: short summary
1. Step 1
2. Step 2
3. Step 3
4. Step 4
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

OK Kunda, that is:

1) I select a border and then go to chamfer feature (or fillet)
2) at that point the feature open parameter but should be automatically in "add mode" so i can select other borders i want to chamfer or fillet with the given parameter.

If i have 20 border to be chamfered 1x45° i can't click 20 times on "add reference" and then select the borders one by one
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Piero69 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:01 am If i have 20 border to be chamfered 1x45° i can't click 20 times on "add reference" and then select the borders one by one
If you have 20 edges to chamfer, just select them all before clicking on chamfer ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I guess you are referring to the rather cumbersome selection mechanism in PartDesign, and not about fillets and chamfers in Part WB. This has been discussed before, and there probably is already a ticket. sliptonic mentions it in his video about annoying things in FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

yes chrisb you perfectly understood, thanks so much
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

Piero69 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:46 am Currently i must add borders one by one wasting so much time
chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 am I guess you are referring to the rather cumbersome selection mechanism in PartDesign, and not about fillets and chamfers in Part WB
Yeesh, I had never used the PartDesign fillet GUI before, it is quite....cumbersome.

As a small workaround, I found that pre-selecting all the faces adjacent to the Edge's I'm interested in filleting is a fast way to select many Edges.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult (impossible?!) to reliable "un-select" a given face once the Fillet dialogue is open, let alone "un-select" a specific Edge.

I think Part workbench does this much better....
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like best the selection mechanism in Path workbench for BaseGeometries: You can select all the edges/faces in 3D viewand the add button transfers them into the selection list. You can remove items from the selection list by selecting them in the list and click the remove button.
This mechanism could be augmented by offering a possibility to select the item s in 3D view and syncing this selection with the list, and it could well be a multiselection list.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

That actually sounds like a great plan. I'm also a consumate fan of any efforts in consolidating existing tools rather than duplicating. FreeCAD has many such examples of great ideas partially duplicated or not integrated together. Tackling Chamfers and Fillets would make a huge difference as these are extremely useful in mechanical design.