Interesting - The Rise Of Open-Source Software (CNBC news segment)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Interesting - The Rise Of Open-Source Software (CNBC news segment)

Post by Kunda1 »

phpBB [video]
Released: Dec 11, 2019
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Re: Interesting - The Rise Of Open-Source Software (CNBC news segment)

Post by paullee »

Thanks for the information !
apeltauer

Post by apeltauer »

:+1:
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

good one!
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

To be honest, it looks for me like an ad for GitHub (and with it Microsoft).

Greetings
user
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Good video. I'm not a very trusting soul especially when it comes to big software business.

I wonder if an image of Github was taken every so often and compared to a future image if MIcrosoft slowly disappears (and pockets) unmaintained well written code.

With Microsoft in charge of Github: What a perfect opportunity to scan thousands of programs so you know exactly what to do on your next release so that everyone will need to upgrade to Windows xx. They could even put hooks in Windows that look for specific programs because they maintain the original source to so many core programs.

Could Solidworks pay Microsoft to insert a different bug in FreeCAD everyday, I don't know that it would even be illegal, just frowned upon.

We don't have open source until there is a Github that is not owned by a money grubbing software giant. The Wolf owns the key to the hen house.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

While I don’t trust any corporation to put community needs first (they are in the business of making money, after all), it’s good to remember that this is an entirely legitimate demonstration of what open source software is and has always sought to be. As I understand the open source movement, this is exactly what was intended - a system where open source and proprietary interests commingle freely and either side may take it or leave it.

Free software may be always open source, but there is not, and has never been, the requirement that open source be free software...
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

freedman wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:55 pm Could Solidworks pay Microsoft to insert a different bug in FreeCAD everyday, I don't know that it would even be illegal, just frowned upon.
They could try, but Patches are reviewed. I do not merge a patch into FEM if I do not had a look at the code. Especially to new devs I have a closer look. To indroduce a bug they would need to make a huge pr, to make the bug vanish. I do not like huge prs because it is difficault to review them. I try to convince people to make small PRs or at least small commits to review them.

Werner (who reviews all core PRs) seams to have a similar opinion. See App::Link stuff. There are a few PRs which are a few weeks there allready, but not merged because they are huge. Whereas small prs get merged very quick.

If they gone try, we will find it :-)

About github not Opensource and owned by Mircosoft. There is a long topic about this. See sourceforge, if they start to do really bad stuff projects will move to other cloud services. Buissniness as usuall even in opensource.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bernd wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:10 pm They could try, but Patches are reviewed. I do not merge a patch into FEM if I do not had a look at the code...
My impression from freedman's post is not that Microsoft will send a pull request by normal means. I think he's talking about more sinister actions. Basically, since they own GitHub, they could insert their own code into FreeCAD's source without having to make a pull request, bypassing any monitoring. That's in my opinion extremely sinister, and a bit paranoic, but it could happen in a dystopian future when we are controlled by corporations.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Joel_graff wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:28 pm ...
Free software may be always open source, but there is not, and has never been, the requirement that open source be free software...
Actually Joel, the definition of "free software" changed a long time ago. Now you are supposed to use Latin terms. Open source is open. Free software is "libre", while not necessarily being "gratis".
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.