How often does FreeCAD crash

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
iyd2019

Re: How often does FreeCAD crash

Post by iyd2019 »

hi!
martin51 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:46 am OS: macOS 10.15
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16146 (Git)
I'm using 0.19 in MacOS since the beginning and now it is much more stable. I would recommend to switch to that version.

I'll also change the Autosave option to a shorter time (e.g. 5'). One of the things that I discovered myself is that, if during an operation FreeCAD hangs (without crashing...), you can wait those 5' until the autosave is done, because it's done on the background!

regards!
martin51

Post by martin51 »

Thanks to all those who chimed in. It's clear from the responses that my experience is not typical and there's a couple of things I should do to improve things: move from FreeCAD 0.18 to 0.19 and start trouble shooting extensions or other processes running in the background that might be unique to my system. They don't mean anything to me but are the crash reports produced by the OS useful to anyone?
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

In my experience only rarely do I get a crash with 0.19. Usually it is when doing a boolean operation or a check geometry, so I try to remember to save my work before doing either of those. One of the benefits of using the Windows version is it is for some reason more robust -- it catches and serves exceptions to the report view rather than crashing as it might in such cases on other platforms. Score one for Microsoft.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.21125 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 40600a55c2fe71ff589be677f6e427ccc937d003
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Using all day I have had issue about once a week. All issues have been recovered from or I should say FreeCAD recovered from on a restart. FreeCAD pops up with " Save you work under a new file name" and then lets me do it and then closes.

See pic, I have had two of these in the last week. One file exception happened during an undo session, I hit Ctl+Z two or three times pretty quick.
The other happened during a copy/paste of a Body into the current file.

Using 0.19.20477, I should probably update.
Win 10
Attachments
error2.JPG
error2.JPG (14.98 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I have a consistent crash here. Customer stuff so I can't post the file. I have a body with about 5 features and I am modifying the first pad, changing constraint value on a dimension in sketcher. If I change the dimension and relax there is no problem but if I instead do a quick mouse zoom with the scroll mouse I get a lock-up. It takes FreeCAD a couple seconds to do the change so I am scrolling while it is calculating the changes.
Maybe the screen and mouse should be locked out while calculating changes....

Auto update and Auto remove redundants on in sketcher, no grid, Auto constraints on.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

freedman wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:05 pm I have a consistent crash here. Customer stuff so I can't post the file. I have a body with about 5 features and I am modifying the first pad, changing constraint value on a dimension in sketcher. If I change the dimension and relax there is no problem but if I instead do a quick mouse zoom with the scroll mouse I get a lock-up. It takes FreeCAD a couple seconds to do the change so I am scrolling while it is calculating the changes.
Maybe the screen and mouse should be locked out while calculating changes....

Auto update and Auto remove redundants on in sketcher, no grid, Auto constraints on.
Perhaps you can produce a minimal version of the file with the error in reproducible form and post it in a new help forum topic.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Thanks TheMarkster, that got me thinking. I went and created a complex sketch without issue but once I padded it there was enough processing going on to cause a problem. My guess is you can do it with just about any file but I attached one.

I did have to treat the program in an evil way. :evil: :)
Modify a constraint value(in my sketch the bottom one) in it's pop-up but don't hit enter yet, then scroll the mouse in while hitting keyboard enter.
On my machine I have to bring up the task manager to quit the program because it's history.

In my past I was always the one who could crash a program. Folks would bring me new code to test and I would beat on the keyboard for 5 seconds. They hated that and yelled "noone every does that". I say it's a good test. :)
Attachments
file_of_circles.FCStd
(67.19 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:07 am Modify a constraint value(in my sketch the bottom one) in it's pop-up but don't hit enter yet, then scroll the mouse in while hitting keyboard enter.
You mean to use the (middle) wheel on the mouse? For us right handers indeed rather difficult to hit enter then. I will not even test this, I would rather file it under "extremely weird mouse and keyboard combinations may freeze FreeCAD" and that's it. When everything else is done, this should of course be tackled.
In case someone else will test it, you should add your full FreeCAD infos.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I would rather file it under "extremely weird mouse and keyboard combinations may freeze FreeCAD"
Maybe the point of this test didn't come across, if I make a change in a constaint in a large model FreeCAD may take 3 or 4 seconds to update everything. During that amount of time it is very likely that your mouse would move or zoom. The start of this error is the "Ok" of the contraint change, that could come from the enter key or the left mouse button. What I see tells me there is some unknow interaction between sketcher doing math and the visual updating, from a by-stander view. This crash initally occured during a normal edit to a constraint.

Can't get to the workstation right now for full info.
Using 0.19.20477
Win 10
Last edited by freedman on Fri May 29, 2020 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

freedman wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:16 am Maybe the point of this test didn't come across, if I make a change in a constaint in a large model FreeCAD may take 3 or 4 seconds to update everything.
Do you have enabled the "Automatic update" option in the sketcher panel?
freedman wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:16 am The start of this error is the "Ok" of the contraint change, that could come from the enter key or the left mouse button. It tells me there is some unknow interaction between sketcher doing math and the visual updating, from a by-stander view.
I cannot reproduce the behaviour.

Maybe I didn't do it the way as you did it. My steps:
  • Load file and edit sketch
  • Double click Constraint66 -> it opens a modal dialog
  • Change the value
  • Move the mouse over the 3d view and start to scroll (this shows no effect because the dialog is modal)
  • While scrolling press the Return/Enter key
It's a fraction of a second where FreeCAD doesn't respond. But it neither freezes nor crashes. If I set the Automatic Update option the recompute takes slightly more time but it's still very fast.