Crediting FreeCAD in Scientific publications

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bielcardona

Re: Crediting FreeCAD in Scientific publications

Post by bielcardona »

Related to this topic, we have also faced the "problem" of including screenshots of FreeCAD for inclusion in publications.
We have just received an email from the Editorial Office (PLOS) asking us to prove that we have the permission for using screenshots of FreeCAD in a publication.
They argue that
"While GNU licenses do allow for commercial use, they do require that the content retains the same license as its shared. This, unfortunately, is not compliant with our license CC BY 4.0, which does not have this restriction. Publishing the content in PLOS ONE would also cause it to change licenses."
and hence
"To seek permission from the copyright owner to publish these figures under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CCAL), CC BY 4.0, please contact them with the following text and PLOS ONE Request for Permission form (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/s/file ... n-form.pdf):[...]"
Could someone please tell me who I should contact regarding to ask for permission?
Thanks!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

This is a misunderstanding of software licenses, a screenshot of a model does not constitute a derived work...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

bielcardona wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:40 pm Could someone please tell me who I should contact regarding to ask for permission?
I will presume that you created the screenshot. Therefore you own it. Just say that on the permission form.

I have faced this a few times, and I simply said that images were created by me. Nobody should care what software was used to create the images, as long as the content is not borrowed.

Gene
bielcardona

Post by bielcardona »

I couldn't agree more... But the editorial office keeps answering the same: "we need the permision form" :x
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Can someone ping the core devs and ask? (I'm mobile atm)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

bielcardona wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:05 pm I couldn't agree more... But the editorial office keeps answering the same: "we need the permision form" :x
This seems a bit extreme, but I have not worked with PLOS.

How about cropping the image so that there is nothing left that says FreeCAD or shows the logo?

Gene
manjula

Post by manjula »

bielcardona wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:40 pm Related to this topic, we have also faced the "problem" of including screenshots of FreeCAD for inclusion in publications.
We have just received an email from the Editorial Office (PLOS) asking us to prove that we have the permission for using screenshots of FreeCAD in a publication.
They argue that
"While GNU licenses do allow for commercial use, they do require that the content retains the same license as its shared. This, unfortunately, is not compliant with our license CC BY 4.0, which does not have this restriction. Publishing the content in PLOS ONE would also cause it to change licenses."
and hence
"To seek permission from the copyright owner to publish these figures under the Creative Commons Attribution License (CCAL), CC BY 4.0, please contact them with the following text and PLOS ONE Request for Permission form (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/s/file ... n-form.pdf):[...]"
Could someone please tell me who I should contact regarding to ask for permission?
Thanks!
This is rather absurd. I think while raising the point here this should be referred to the attention of the free software foundation. https://www.fsf.org/licensing

I am sure they will take the matter up rather fast and they are very responsive and quick to act with necessary formal legal support. I think you should send a copy of the mail to them and get them involved in this. Because this is not an issue related to a single software.

With reference to the project proposal! How about we start a draft proposal on a platform that we can edit? If there is no interested parties i can devote some time for the proposal after 2 weeks, but i really think i am not suitable for this as i have very very limited experiences with FreeCAD.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

manjula wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 pm With reference to the project proposal! How about we start a draft proposal on a platform that we can edit? If there is no interested parties i can devote some time for the proposal after 2 weeks, but i really think i am not suitable for this as i have very very limited experiences with FreeCAD.
You can create a SandBox on the wiki? The advantage is once it's done it can be renamed.
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I brought this up to an expert in the area and he suggested they may actually be right...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

There is already a page called Scientific literature
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs