Request: Configurable Mouse Button Assignment

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Sandkuchen

Request: Configurable Mouse Button Assignment

Post by Sandkuchen »

Hi Forum :)

As the title says, here is another request for a user-configurable assignment of mouse buttons / functions. A quick search suggested that this has already been asked for a few times, but didn't materialise yet.

As second best thing I'd be happy with a mouse flavour that doesn't require a modifier key or wild 2-button combos (which really shouldn't be necessary with at least 3 regular mouse buttons and a scroll wheel).

Left button
  • Click to select items
  • Click-hold somewhere in space to use selection frame
  • Click-hold on selected stuff to move it around where applicable
    ... and general clicky/select stuff
Right button
  • Click for context menu
  • Click-hold to tilt/turn/swivel or alternatively 2D pan
Middle button
  • Click-hold to 2D pan or alternatively tilt/turn/swivel
Wheel
  • Zoom
Optionally middle double click to zoom to full view (I think that was originally an AUTOCAD thing, not sure though, it's very handy)

I'm sorry, if there already is such a thing and I just didn't find it. I'm on 0.18.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Request: Configurable Mouse Button Assignment

Post by Kunda1 »

Just a tip: switch to 0.19 and download the weekly updates. 0.19 is more stable and more advanced then 0.18
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Sandkuchen

Post by Sandkuchen »

Thanks for the tip. I'm now trying out 0.19 as well. However, there are no changes to the button assignment, if I got that right.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Sandkuchen wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:14 pm ... (which really shouldn't be necessary with at least 3 regular mouse buttons and a scroll wheel).
You'd be surprised by the amount of people who use FreeCAD in Mac systems, and in laptops with a touchpad. I don't get it, but a lot of people work that way.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Sandkuchen

Post by Sandkuchen »

vocx wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:41 pm ... Mac systems [or] laptops with a touchpad ...
Whichever works for whoever - I'm fine with that and even think it's rather nice FeeCAD cares for them. But, on the other hand, when there already are different mouse flavours in FreeCAD, there is not much of a point in restricting each in a way fitting touchpads or silly two-button mice. Apart from that, I think some of the flavours already utilise left, middle and right button (including wheel), but then for no reason still require some modifier key.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Sandkuchen

Post by Sandkuchen »

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:01 am [Link to description of mouse flavors in FreeCAD]
I'm not sure what you are telling with this(?)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

on that page are all current mouse models including mouspads versions
Sandkuchen

Post by Sandkuchen »

Jee-Bee wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:24 am on that page are all current mouse models ...
Thank you. I knew that page and think it doesn't address "my problem".