How to improve the design of the FreeCAD project?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mika38

How to improve the design of the FreeCAD project?

Post by Mika38 »

Dear all,

I took the freedom to post a job offer, on Open Source Design, to see if those expert could help us improve the design of our project. The job description will point here, so I would like to welcome to our forum all the kind person how click to the link. Please post you proposition below.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Mika
;) Le chemin est long, mais la voie est libre :D The journey is long but the way is free 8-)
agryson

Re: How to improve the design of the FreeCAD project?

Post by agryson »

Thanks for taking the initiative on this mika and to anyone coming here from the aforementioned link, welcome.

One little suggestion I would have to ensure the most constructive contributions possible, please check out the wiki and bug tracker to see both the "what needs improving" (bug tracker) and the "how to improve it" (wiki).

Naturally, everything should be discussed here in the forum to get good information.

A final word would be that ideas are cheap but implementation is priceless - so while all input is welcome, if you can't code it, at least think it through enough and detail it enough and study it enough so that the guy/gal who does implement it isn't doing all the work.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I had to search for that "job offer" since Mika38 didn't think of posting the link.

http://opensourcedesign.net/jobs/jobs/2 ... of-freecad

As agryson wrote, help is always very much welcome. But I would like to point out to newcomers that Mika38, the writer of the "job offer", does not speak for the FreeCAD community. He certainly does not speak for me, as I'm in disagreement with much of what he wrote in the job description.

In fact I find his wording rather insulting to the FreeCAD community. He took it upon himself to write it and talks "we" but he didn't ask for advice/didn't try to reach consensus before creating it.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Yeah, the post count in the UX/UI Design forum is kind of a non-point, it was only created January 17, 2017 while the oldest post in the Developer's Corner is from Feb 2010...
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Exactly. Mika38 barely knows anything about FreeCAD and its history and he went and wrote that "job offer" in our name with a lot of factual errors.

As for myself I am not happy with his initiative. He should have discussed it here first so we could ensure its description was properly worded.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

agryson wrote:ideas are cheap but implementation is priceless
Exactly, my motto! :D
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I agree such campaigns should be discussed up front and if done they should be more neutral and professional.

As for the response to it. Saying ideas are not important and stuff like that is in my opinion not needed to make a point. As in reality there is nothing wrong with ideas. Without them nothings happens.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

ideas are cheap, details are valuable, but implementation is priceless
Just thought there was something that could be added.

Reading the description surely leaves an unwanted aftertaste. But we could make the necessary corrections and putting up a PR. Seems like someone already 'applied' to mika's pr and someone said the job posting could put up some more details, like freecad's repo.
Last edited by jnxd on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jnxd wrote:Just thought there was something that could be added.
+1
triplus wrote:Saying ideas are not important
My understanding is that's not what "ideas are cheap" meant. See below:
triplus wrote:there is nothing wrong with ideas. Without them nothings happens.
But with only ideas, nothing happens either. The best example would be your NavigationIndicator. I had the original idea, but it would have never been a reality without you implementing it, and adding features I never thought about.

So in the end, what's most important? That I had the idea, or that you made it a reality?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jnxd wrote:Seems like someone already 'applied' to mika's pr
And it's still not satisfactory.

Someone replied with offer of Branding/visual identity help. Here we go again. (this already happened in the past)

I added my own comment.