Selector toolbar

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Re: Selector toolbar

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote:Active workbench button is removed from the toolbar altogether and instead the selector menu button is used for this purpose. Resulting in no duplicate active workbench button on the toolbar anymore. And no additional button needs to be used for selector menu button purposes. Setting button style can remain consistent for all available buttons on the Selector toolbar.
I have tested this solution and I'm sorry to say I don't like it: it's quite confusing, I have never seen a UI that has a similar thing... I think the best approach is as it was done before, understand the toolbar as "Windows ribbons" so when you press a workbench buttons all its tools appear (that's why I have highlighted the active workbench in my stylesheet:
actual.png
actual.png (123.89 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
That is, it's not necessary that the menu with all workbenches show the icon or name of the active one.
But, of course, it could let users know that if pressing that button they will get a list of all workbenches. What do you think about a simple icon button with any of the following ones?:
icons.png
icons.png (624 Bytes) Viewed 2668 times
So it will end on something like the following:
icons_demo.png
icons_demo.png (217.07 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
What do you think?

EDIT: I have attached the icons just in case you feel like trying them out ;)
Attachments
more.svg
(946.23 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
menu.svg
(945.72 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

triplus wrote: Optionally selector menu can be enabled at front.
Hi @triplus ... very nice tools you are doing ;)
Just a suggestion you may consider...
I noticed it is possible to move the WB position in Selector Toolbar under Tools Accessories menu
st.png
st.png (30.72 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
would be useful to have the same WB position sequence in the TB selector button to let user have a faster access to the WB he moved up?
st4.png
st4.png (71.57 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Thx again
Maurice
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote:I have never seen a UI that has a similar thing...
Music to my ears! :D

@pablogil

You would like to have a special selector menu button. As you use the selector toolbar to resemble tabs/ribbon interface. And for you it therefore doesn't work if active tab is always the first/last one when the selector menu is enabled?

@easyw-fc

You plan to use selector toolbar as a standard toolbar. Could you update the code to the last revision. To test the behaviour when selector menu acts like active workbench button and provide some feedback.

But as for your suggestion. You would like to have additional ability to control selector menu in the same way as you can control selector toolbar buttons?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

triplus wrote: You plan to use selector toolbar as a standard toolbar.
yes! I turned off Workbench Toolbar immediately since I tested Selector Toolbar ;)
triplus wrote: Could you update the code to the last revision. To test the behavior when selector menu acts like active workbench button and provide some feedback.
it works great! That of removing the actual WB icon was something I would have asked, but I thought it was a quite big effort to do... Thx :D
triplus wrote: But as for your suggestion. You would like to have additional ability to control selector menu in the same way as you can control selector toolbar buttons?
I would like to have a list of the Selector Button in the same sequence of the one that is configured through: Tools->Accessories->Selector toolbar Menu (as per my first image st.png I would like to have Part, PartDesign, Assembly2, SheetMetal, Draft, Fastner, Drawing Dimensoining, TechDraw, Sketcher, FEM, Spreadsheet, OpenSCAD, none, Drawing, 3D printing etc...)

I mean if I moved up my preferred WBs in the ST menu setup, I would like to have the same sequence of WBs also when acting with the Selector Toolbar button instead of a simple alphabetic list order... that will move my preferred WBs up to top and they will be very easy/fast to pick up just beside the most used that I attached to the ST itself...
This is only a suggestion but that i consider an improvement in user experience...

Thx again for your useful and nice tools (I use everyday PieMenu, NavigationIndicator and I'm learning Persistent Toolbar too :) )
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Umm, yes, I'm trying to use Selector toolbar as a tab/ribbon toolbar but not as a regular button toolbar... Could it be possible to have both behaviors? ;)

I think I have detected a small bug: since last update I'm not able to set the style to "text + icon": at FreeCAD startup it always shows the "only icon" mode. If I open Selector toolbar preferences it is set "text + icon" but it doesn't show... Could you have a look at it?

Thank you very much
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote:Umm, yes, I'm trying to use Selector toolbar as a tab/ribbon toolbar but not as a regular button toolbar... Could it be possible to have both behaviors? ;)
Consider it done.
I think I have detected a small bug: since last update I'm not able to set the style to "text + icon": at FreeCAD startup it always shows the "only icon" mode. If I open Selector toolbar preferences it is set "text + icon" but it doesn't show... Could you have a look at it?
I'll take a look.
Thank you very much
You're welcome.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

pablogil wrote:I think I have detected a small bug: since last update I'm not able to set the style to "text + icon": at FreeCAD startup it always shows the "only icon" mode. If I open Selector toolbar preferences it is set "text + icon" but it doesn't show... Could you have a look at it?
I have a feeling this was already resolved a few days back. Just do an update to the latest revision and after do the test again.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote:I have a feeling this was already resolved a few days back. Just do an update to the latest revision and after do the test again.
I have just tried downloading and installing last version and it doesn't work for me:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6703 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from 2ce5c8d)
Hash: 2ce5c8d2e3020d05005ed71f710e09e9aa561f40
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

In the meanwhile I have reverted to the Selector toolbar first release (0d263fc) and I found it also happens here, so maybe it's not a problem of the plugin itself but how it writes/read the saved config. I have checked that inside "edit parameters..."/ SelectorToolbar the variable is correctly set but it has no effect at startup... only if I manually switch it.

Any idea?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Pablo.

I updated the code and the reported issue should be resolved.