Icons for Part and Group

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: Icons for Part and Group

Post by Jee-Bee »

saso wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:34 pm Well for me it makes sense to look at them together, they should be different enough to be quickly and easily identified in the tree and should help to tell the "story" how something is build. Personally I care less if the part icon looks exactly as a part should look like or not. I am however also ok with current body icon if others will be different enough.
Exactly this was the reason i asked for it!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

triplus wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:06 am Nah. You are just incapable of crediting (me) and feel you need to diminish my achievements as that will somehow make yours look better. And that is all there is to it.
Really? We're talking about credit now? How about your NavigationIndicator announcement:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20769

You wrote a bland "Thanks to all involved for helping making it happen" because you couldn't bear to say openly that you used my idea. You didn't specifically mention pablogil's contributions either which would have been the decent thing to do. But I let it slide at the time.

And based on my replies in the two topics linked in your announcement, how can you infer I didn't give you credit for your work?

Anyone that reads my replies here can see that I'm pretty open about crediting others contributions. To pretend I feel threatened by other people's contributions is laughable. But I have said time and again I do no like you because you have proven to me time after time that you are untrustworthy. I have tried time and again to overlook it and carry on and to build a rapport with you. I thought that was what we had succeeded in doing after your NavigationIndicator work. But every time I think that we have finally reached an uneasy truce, bam! You throw me an arrow out of the blue. Recently I tried to argue with you on something with a rhetorical example, and rather than replying truthfully you turned it personal in the most condescending manner by trying to use something about myself I wrote openly in the forum a full year before and never mentioned since. I can't believe you kept it under your hat for such a long time. Do you realize how creepy and despicable that is to most normal people??? I guess that's why you've never divulged anything personal about you since you've been here, because you fear others may use it against you like you try to do to others?
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Please, consider the designed icons as sketches, if you finally decide to use any of them I will polish it so that it can be used in production.

EDIT: typos
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

That is not correct as i explicitly credited/attributed you by adding a (first) link in the feature announcement thread pointing to your thread. That is a common way to add/give credit/attribution by adding a link. As for the contributed artwork and your claims on how i should have done more to credit. Did you ever claim something like that in any feature announcement thread in the past when that was not explicitly done? If not sure start now but please do it elsewhere first.

I occasionally shoot an arrow? Big deal? Like you don't do that on a regular basis? As for going in a rhetorical debates with me. Only you seem to have a problem with it when that happens? Why? Rhetorical question?
NormandC wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 pm You wrote a bland "Thanks to all involved for helping making it happen" because you couldn't bear to say openly that you used my idea. You didn't specifically mention pablogil's contributions either which would have been the decent thing to do. But I let it slide at the time.
Recently I tried to argue with you on something with a rhetorical example, and you turned it personal in the most condescending manner by trying to use something about myself I wrote openly in the forum a full year before and never mentioned since. I can't believe you kept it under your hat for such a long time.
I see when you do it is normal but when i do it it is creepy? But all in all:

Therefore in your defense you are now claiming that you feel i am creepy, untrustworthy and i don't credit you? And that makes you trustworthy and not creepy and as somebody who credits (me)? That is in your opinion? Or do you feel your opinion is somehow automatically the truth? The reality is you are just continuing with your smear campaign. And that is all. Therefore don't bitch about it when it back fires. Or what do you expect to get some special credit for it? Your whole last post was again a smear campaign and nothing else.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

@NormandC

I think i have just figured it out. As for you not liking me. OK. i don't particularly care about that as it's your choice and i can cope with it just fine. But all in all you don't strike me as somebody that would lead smear campaign against the people you don't like. Therefore i won't accuse you of that for now. As that could end up being a smear campaign by itself and would not do you just. Therefore i dig deeper and as the quote goes once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

I figure we are just too much alike. And that is all there is to it. Doh should have seen that one sooner. It is so obvious.

@pablogil

Unless @ickby intervenes i feel that request was only for Part feature icon for now. Forget about everything else and adapt the one you feel best represent Part feature by including some of the feedback you got in this thread. And that is that. After we should vote and choose the one for now.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

ickby wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:27 pm Hello Graphic-Wizards,

I'm looking for icons for the 0.17 Part as well as for the normal Group, both use the same one currently. It is the system Icon for a folder, so it looks totally different on every system, but a folder does imho not represent the function of the Part very well. A folder is appropriate for the normal Group, so this would in general fit. However, the icon is not usable for the toolbar button. I think there must be a resemblance between tool button and tree objects, and as I want to introduce a toolbar button for group too it must be a normal icon.

So if anyone could make two nice icon I would be glad and thankful :)
Hi Stephan
about 4 years ago you had an Assembly branch which we tested a bit, we made a lot of icons for Assembly items, one of which was "Part".

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... =50#p41186

Is an Assembly Part different to a PartDesign Part?

Another thought, would it make any sense to add some of that Assembly stuff from 4 years ago into Master (presumably still leave it not compiling by default) before the next release version? I am wondering if some very limited early version of Assembly might be better than nothing? Perhaps that is far too much work. Would it make sense to at least push the icons as they will not cause any bugs since they have no function? Just a thought, no pressure. :)

OK well a bit of pressure if it helps speed things up .....from Mr impatient. :D
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I feel that if @ickby had it figured out he wouldn't open this icon request quest. Therefore i don't feel asking him before we in general figure it out and reach some consensus makes much sense. Your proposal in my opinion has the mentioned issue as the icon representing a Part feature is an assembly alike icon. And therefore lacks the main property of a Part (term in general sense). And that is being a "one of".

But as a lot of such icons where proposed (assembly alike) we i guess therefore need to first establish if we are OK with having an assembly like icon to represent a general Part feature in FreeCAD or not?

Opinions?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:50 am Hi Stephan
about 4 years ago you had an Assembly branch which we tested a bit, we made a lot of icons for Assembly items, one of which was "Part".
Oh man, this gets more and more embarissing for me! Now that you show the link with the pictures I remember those Icons too. And actually I like them too, they show pretty well what they are doing.

What was back than a "Assembly Part" is what now is a normal "Part", they are the same. So one could also goes in this direction.

I'm fine with all those icons, if you guys come to a conclution what would fit best into FreeCAD I will add them.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

ickby wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:13 am What was back than a "Assembly Part" is what now is a normal "Part", they are the same. So one could also goes in this direction.
great! I'm glad the new STEP structure is aligned to Assembly code :)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OK therefore a bit of ambiguity by using assembly alike icon for FreeCAD Part feature purpose isn't a problem. Should i make an info graphic of all proposal to choose from or will other users just express their opinion directly to at least narrow down the choice?

ALL proposals in this thread therefore can be selected. Please express your opinion in lets say next 24 hours.

P.S. I have to do something else first but in around 3 hours time i will create a quick info graphic of all proposals made. To ease the selection process phase.