Icons for Part and Group

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: Icons for Part and Group

Post by triplus »

ProposalsUpdated.png
ProposalsUpdated.png (79.13 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
As promised.

P.S. I was thinking as this is one of the FreeCAD features that is highly likely to be used frequently. There i guess doesn't need to be any rush involved. Therefore votes, suggestions and proposals are all still welcomed. Maybe to again see some team work between designers? After all one of the frequent past design contributors decided he was absent enough. And i haven't seen @agryson for a while therefore i don't know where we stand with the aligning. But anyway all in all hopefully we will be able to narrow it down a bit further on what we would like to have. And i guess in FreeCAD 0.17 there won't be any Assembly by default but we can still daydream a bit when working on the (future) icon design for it. But remember Part feature icon is what we are after therefore don't get carried away too much.
Last edited by triplus on Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Part Icon: my vote is for 'E'
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

After this long thread I'm not sure if developers will pick up one, two three or none but, well, it doesn't hurt anyone if I choose my preferred ;)

I would go for the full H versions (body, part and assembly) with some little improvements and with a final retouch by @agryson to unify with the Tango theme. I choose it because it's a full set, it could help to understand a little of what's a body, part and assembly but loosing some meaning in the way for clarity and simplicity... very often it's better not to be so explicit with the icon and approach a more "soft version" of the concepts in order to help regular users to easily recognize them...
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

Part icon: my vote is for G. I think it is the most clear at 16px which is how you will see it most often. Otherwise I would vote for H to better match the current body icon. I would like H better if there was more contrast at 16px...maybe highlight lines would help.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I prefer G eighter. The color set(yellow for part and blue for assembly) are more or less the same as in most other CAD packages what is less confusing

edit:
Body -> G
Part -> G
Assy -> H
Last edited by Jee-Bee on Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Hello,

nice summary triplus! One thougth: maybe we should make a community vote in a seperate topic, like: "Which Icon-Set do you prefere, a, b or ...". For this it would be helpful to fill out the missing icons with the default ones for body. don't know if there is a default one for assembly...

Just a thought.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

First thanks everybody for expressing your opinions. That is what is needed now the most.
ickby wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:31 am Hello,

nice summary triplus! One thougth: maybe we should make a community vote in a seperate topic, like: "Which Icon-Set do you prefere, a, b or ...". For this it would be helpful to fill out the missing icons with the default ones for body. don't know if there is a default one for assembly...

Just a thought.
Good ideas. I looked in the source code and found one icon that i guess could represent Assembly feature and i added the existing Body icon. By modifying the existing infographic above to fill in the blank spaces (will be updated in half hour time frame).

And i guess the scope therefore changed? And now both Body and Part icons are a part of this quest? That is in addition existing Body icon could be replaced if decided that would make sense? As for the assembly icon quest. For now that is more or less for reference purposes only. It likely won't get used anywhere directly ATM but it helps to determine how the escalation from body -> part -> assembly could look like from the artwork point of view.

As for the rest. If others agree i will wait to around Sunday (or longer if needed/requested) if anybody wants to adapt proposed icons (as that was mentioned) or potentially if some additional aligning will happen. New and adapted proposals and suggestions are still welcomed. After i am guessing new infographic should contain narrowed down selection and we can start from there?

P.S. The criteria (can be changed after further discussions) for narrowed done selection is as follow. All new proposals and as for the existing ones at lest one vote needed or any sort of relevant mention between the infographic post and Sunday (or if extended until the end of the extended time) time frame.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

A mixed combination like:
Body -> H
Part -> G
Assy -> H
could be added?
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Yes i feel that next infographic should more or less try to provide selection with resolved color scheme dilemma. Therefore feel free to discuss, suggest and propose suitable color scheme.

P.S. Ideally designers will provide a few samples to narrow down the suitable options (color scheme) to be used in next infographic.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

My vote:

Body A
Part G
Assembly A