UI/UX suggestions for Addon Installer

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: UI/UX suggestions for Addon Installer

Post by yorik »

easyw-fc wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:46 pm what I do with my update checker for my WBs is using urllib2 or urllib (for py3) to fetch the GH page and get the commits number. Then I compare this value with the one written in the WB itself.
The main problem is, the most recent revision of each addons is not available on the main FreeCAD-addons github page. It only lists the latest revision that has been pushed into it. So that means either we have to fetch each addon page to get the latest revision, which is impractical (the addon manager would need several minutes to start up), or we need to update the addons repo often... But I don't know a way to do that automatically.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

yorik wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:09 pm So that means either we have to fetch each addon page to get the latest revision, which is impractical (the addon manager would need several minutes to start up), or we need to update the addons repo often...
It would be possible to add a button to check for updates on only installed WB.. that will add a delay only if the user asked for an update check and only for the installed WBs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

easyw-fc wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:17 pm It would be possible to add a button to check for updates on only installed WB.. that will add a delay only if the user asked for an update check and only for the installed WBs
This is implemented already, but only appears if you have python-git installed. It must still be extended to add the non-git way.
prandall

Post by prandall »

Was thinking about starting a new thread, thought it might be better here, let me know :) I did read/scan through the whole thread but I certainly could of missed this stuff.

I have found a bunch of Macros that display this message.

"Unable to fetch the code of this macro"
  1. Animated Constrain
  2. CloneConvert
  3. Connect and Sweep
  4. Constraint Draft
There may be more I stopped looking.

In the past I would just go out and google it, if I really wanted it, but I thought maybe I can start help with some of this stuff.

The Addon Manager has been a great improvement and I love it. I think this may be an area of FreeCAD that I can help a little ( as it is still fairly new and simpler than other areas) That being said I have a few questions and suggestions:
  1. Is there currently a unified mechanism ( code / forum / internal / bug reporting ) where one can /should submit problems?
  2. Could we add some kind of beta tab/indicator for Macros that don't work with just the install action ( ie., you need to copy icons )
  3. A categorization of Macros would be useful, the list is growing large, and the macros seem to have wildly differing scope.
  4. Can we list what version of FreeCAD they were created for, of course that is, if that is discernible. )
If any of these suggestions are acceptable I would be happy to try to implement them, although I am not certain I have the abilities, but I would try anyway.

I also looked through Mantis, there a few feature request but not a whole lot in there.
3D Printing, CAD, Electronics and other errata at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/mathcodeprint
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I noticed the same see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p229653
after a sugestion i added a bug on the macro git but they closed it almost directly...
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-macr ... s%3Aclosed
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi

for the macro code extra wiki,

i create template "Template:Codeextralink" testing with Addon_Installer and Macro FCInfo (for the moment)

suggestion adding button in Addon Installer for launch the macro directly after installation

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Mario, good idea.
Any idea how to test changes made to the addon installer before pushing them live ? I'd like to address some open issues for Addon Manager (ex. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons/issues/74) and would like to improve it in general but am still a newb at this part.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Good idea mario!

But I think we could make a simpler template that just contains an url that points to the code hosted somewhere else (the "raw" code, not a github page). Then I can adapt the addon manager to handle that.

@Kunda1 if you don't compile FreeCAD yourself, I think the best way is to 1) create a fork on github, 2) make the changes you want to the "live" version of addonManager.py that lives on your computer (inside the installed FreeCAD, not the source code). Once you have something that works as you want, drag and drop that file at the correct place in your github version (github allows you to do that I think). Github will create a new commit for you, and you will be able to make a PR.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

yorik wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:01 pm Good idea mario!

But I think we could make a simpler template that just contains an url that points to the code hosted somewhere else (the "raw" code, not a github page). Then I can adapt the addon manager to handle that.
ok
@Kunda1
i add one button execute (edit the macro in FreeCAD and execute)

Addon00.png
Addon00.png (14.68 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

mario52 wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:19 am i add one button execute (edit the macro in FreeCAD and execute)
Great job! What does the community think?
yorik wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:01 pm @Kunda1 if you don't compile FreeCAD yourself, I think the best way is to 1) create a fork on github, 2) make the changes you want to the "live" version of addonManager.py that lives on your computer (inside the installed FreeCAD, not the source code). Once you have something that works as you want, drag and drop that file at the correct place in your github version (github allows you to do that I think). Github will create a new commit for you, and you will be able to make a PR.
Thanks @yorik that makes total sense and I'm surprised I didn't think about that earlier. I'll play around with it when I get a good window of time.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs