ShortCuts

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: ShortCuts

Post by triplus »

Use Case

One of the standard keys (Del) is missing on my keyboard. How to set a different shortcut (Backspace) for the Delete command.
Backspace.png
Backspace.png (17.92 KiB) Viewed 1380 times
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

There is a question, that worries me.
Will there be ability to switch RMB to pan view (+MMB to rotate view)?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

However your question has nothing to do with shortcuts...
I think your answer can be found here https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Mouse_Model
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 am However your question has nothing to do with shortcuts...
I think your answer can be found here https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Mouse_Model
I'm not entirely sure - some software provide such ability exactly in shortcuts setup menu.
Because sometimes presets systems doesnot work, like in this case.
So the question is - will it be that kind of shortcuts menu, that contauns navigation setup.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I have no clue what you mean with ... no work...
I don't know any other software that offer multiple mouse models. Most software provide just a single mouse model. It is easy learn it ...
The place where i expect mouse settings is just the preference menu (found here: help>>Preferences>>Display and there the "3D navigation" property). Normally you set it once from than on you stick with it.
Also FC nows the status bar, this allows you change the mouse model more quickly.

I guess changing mouse models with shortcuts is a risk. It is almost as worse as Windows changing the keyboard layout because i live outside the US. Once in a while i am unable to login because some letters and symbols are changed because of change of layout.
for example you are in a sketch and while working the mouse model changed from blender to touchpad... good luck with that.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 pm I don't know any other software that offer multiple mouse models.
Blender does.
Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:52 pm It is easy learn it ...
Unless it's a mistake to learn it. Like in Zbrush or Substance painter.
The problem is that all mouse modes, that presents in Freecad, are unsuccessful to varying degrees.
In CG workflow design terms, this is not a matter of convenience, but of common sense.
Every technical artist loves such genious defaults, like those 2button modes for rotation, they are looking just beautiful)

Why not to change twobutton mouse default action to a pedal? - they saying in that case.
Well, yes, every preset in FreeCAD is lame because it requires an additional USB pedals for some action yet, and that's problem of FreeCAD, not that peoples, that want to be effective every day, doing their work without such extravagant accesories, right?)

MOUSE.png
MOUSE.png (27.5 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

1D_Inc wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm Unless it's a mistake to learn it.
No
1D_Inc wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm In CG workflow design terms, this is not a matter of convenience, but of common sense.
I have worked with Rhino, solid works and now most with Creo. Also i have i tiny bit used Ansys and Comsol. I don't remember all but i remember that at change from package it is allways a wrestling because the mouse models are different.
So it is no common sense!
Small point FreeCAD is NO computer graphics(i assume you meant that. Center of Gravity looks a bit unrelated) but a engineering tool.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 am but a engineering tool.
3D doesnot smells. Speed is also speed everywhere.
Jee-Bee wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:48 am it is allways a wrestling because the mouse models are different
Really? Then why are you fighting against ability to set up mouse freely, to match software you are related to?)
What's the point of that? Jesus Christ... ©
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

what i told you before choosing or set up the a mouse model don't exist in most software.
If a company choose for certain tool i have to deal with it...

I'm not against the option to create your own mouse model. i say there is no option to set up your own mouse model (as in most other software tools). If you want it create it.

btw Jesus is unrelated!

edit: can a moderator split last few post to separate topic
Last edited by Jee-Bee on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

So, final question is a bit wider:

Will there also be mouse controls and navigation in key setups to provide ability of emulating navigation of software, familiar to user, in order to increase the convenience of multiple software using?