FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by carlopav »

dublya wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm 3. The final thought is regarding the name, FreeCad. This describes what the app is: its a free, as in libre, computer assisted deisgn tool. There is also of course librecad, libreoffice, librecmc, so this notion of putting free before the tool category is fairly common.
First of all I really like the new logo proposal, the cube/box approach seems appropriate to me because i think to freecad as a multiple toolbox of different design approach, every one with the construction in mind, so i think the box with the gear, could be not so original, but it communicate the right thing. instead i don't like muche the caliper because it's more related to mechanical and since i come from architecture, it sound excluding to me. :)
Me too I was thinking about the name: since my discover of FreeCAD (one mounth ago) i have been telling lot of people about it, but the reaction to the name was always a bit cold... it sounded a bit cheap, because people associate the FREE word first of all to money than to freedom (but maybe that's just because of italian)...
so i was thinking about the name sitting on the wc this morning and it came up to my mind the french word "cadeau", pronounced cadò, that is the french for "present", and i found what i think it is a really nice game "CADò"... present because it's generously given to the community, free and libre as a present, has CAD inside the word, and the correct writing CADeau contains also word "eau"="water" that represent to me a "liquid" approach to modelling: in freecad in fact you can find the best workflow through different workbenches in a flexible way...
You will probably think i had a bad hangover this morning, but anyway that's all i wanted to let you know :)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the name CADeau. What a pity that FreeCAD already has one. (And we know from the developers that you cannot change the name after creation, you can only change the label.)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

chrisb wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm I like the name CADeau. What a pity that FreeCAD already has one.
:D :D :D
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
regis

Post by regis »

@Dublya
Thanks for your interest though the 20+ pages of read :D and your elaborate reply giving us a great insight into your line of thinking.
dublya wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm 1. Letters. Letters are overdone in the icon world, especially in, oddly enough, the design apps. Ai, Ps, F ( autodesk fusion360), F (Figma)
Although over some time I still have a bit of reservations concerning the new logo, as I still think the original logo has this classic outreach that is hard to beat, but for the sake of modernisation and keeping with current trends, and attempt at revamping is also much appreciated. So I think the new logo is an attempt in this direction, What are your thoughts on the new logo?
dublya wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm 2. The caliper is the single, best physical object to indicate a 3d modeling app, imho. If anyone has a better candidate, I would love to know of it.
That's why we are all here, to look for the best candidate :D So lets keep boiling up some ideas.
dublya wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm 3. The final thought is regarding the name, FreeCad. This describes what the app is: its a free, as in libre, computer assisted deisgn tool. There is also of course librecad, libreoffice, librecmc, so this notion of putting free before the tool category is fairly common.

But really, a name does not have to describe or categorize something anymore than a mark or icon has to use the first letter of that name.

For instance, look at Blender and its mark at blender.org. Or Sketch and its mark at sketchapp.com Or the new sketch/figma app being built from the ground up for linux called Akira https://github.com/Alecaddd/akira

Both blender and akira are fully open and free software, forever, but the word free or libre is no longer necessary, it's implied. Of course we are free and open source, like all the best software. It's understood. Not to say that
dublya wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm Finally, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone who been here many years longer than I have, hammering away diligently with out pay to make this app the amazing, outstanding, and basically mind-bogglingly rad piece of the software that it is. I am only suggesting that the name and mark continue to evolve to reflect the maturity of the app and secure its rightful seat in the modern pantheon of free and open source apps.
libre should not be clearly stated in a tagline, just that it doesn't have to be part of the name anymore.

So with these thoughts in mind, I'm suggesting we begin to consider a new name along with the new mark and icon
Okay about the name Freecad. In my opinion we should absolutely stick to it. let me explain why.
-Freecad has history accumulated already
-Freecad is easy to find and remember for anyone.
-Freecad needs a lot of visibility to stand out and compete with currently existing programs who benefit from tremendous funding on a marketing level. So having a basic simple name that achieves the most with the less is crucial in this game.
We can't really speak for other programs in the same context because they all had different starting points, different interests and industry. Clearly the Animation/VFX and graphic design industries have much bigger audiences and are generally typically more accessible than say CAD.
CAD in the sense of Mechanical, Architectural, Industrial etc etc... tends to be very sophisticated in terms of knowledge base. So the niche is already fairly small as it is not just anyone who can pick them up and create a rocket science space ship with it. So in that regard we can use Blender and Akira as model of inspiration to extract the best from their success story, but must also remain realistic within the constraints of what CAD really is. In this context I give tremendous credit to the initiator of Freecad. the guy was deadly spot on to create a name that goes well with its purpose.
dublya wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm Finally, the last thing I want to do is offend anyone who been here many years longer than I have, hammering away diligently with out pay to make this app the amazing, outstanding, and basically mind-bogglingly rad piece of the software that it is. I am only suggesting that the name and mark continue to evolve to reflect the maturity of the app and secure its rightful seat in the modern pantheon of free and open source apps.
Yes we can all agree that we want to keep evolving in the best direction possible that reflects the open source world mindset. In that regard I still welcome more thoughts and suggestions from your as far as what could be made better. In time I believe that Freecad will be ripe and take it's seat in the world of commercial giants since it has already conquered the CAD/CAM/Architecture of the Open Source world based on current standards.
dublya wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm A big thanks to all those folks. It took me about a year to get the hang of freecad and then its just kind of clicked. Now I just love it.
Big thanks to you as well, for your comment which perhaps marks the start of your future contribution to it's devop. Yup i've been there, first 3years of pain and sacrifice into learning Freecad was tedious but in the end when it clicks, it's magical.
regis

Post by regis »

carlopav wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:41 pm First of all I really like the new logo proposal, the cube/box approach seems appropriate to me because i think to freecad as a multiple toolbox of different design approach
Yes that's the basic desired intention.
carlopav wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:41 pm since my discover of FreeCAD (one mounth ago) i have been telling lot of people about it, but the reaction to the name was always a bit cold... it sounded a bit cheap, because people associate the FREE word first of all to money than to freedom (but maybe that's just because of italian)...
Yeah at first glance for anyone who has been using industry programs for a time might hear and find "Free"cad less appealing. But remember it is not everyone who thinks in Open source terms. You must already have a certain mindset about life and your current environment to entertain the idea of open source. Generally people who are frustrated with proprietary softwares. Think for example Apple which is a closed ecosystem. If you like to be confined in their setup without much need to adapt it to your personal needs, then you may not be the kind of person who will entertain Open Source. But if you are a mindful thoughtful person who wants to change and adapt things to make them suitable for "personalised" tasks/ideas, then OpenSource and Freecad provides such a great venue. i.e you are not bound by what proprietary says, or what ever anyone in the community says. You can pick up the software and hide in your garage 'ala steve jobs' and create what ever beautiful idea you might have and then surprise the world. So my thinking is that you may be trying to get the wrong people interested. Generally the best way to invite skeptics is by creating a sublime project and then show them. And when they are impressed, you reveal that the project was done with open source if you fear "free" will scare them.
carlopav wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:41 pm so i was thinking about the name sitting on the wc this morning and it came up to my mind the french word "cadeau", pronounced cadò, that is the french for "present", and i found what i think it is a really nice game "CADò"... present because it's generously given to the community, free and libre as a present, has CAD inside the word, and the correct writing CADeau contains also word "eau"="water" that represent to me a "liquid" approach to modelling: in freecad in fact you can find the best workflow through different workbenches in a flexible way...
You will probably think i had a bad hangover this morning, but anyway that's all i wanted to let you know
:lol: Certainly the effect of a good weekend hangover, but a good hangover indeed if it compelled you enough to "Cado" us some of your thoughts.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

dublya

Post by dublya »

Some crystal clear info in the elementary os's Human Interface Guidelines section on Icons: https://elementary.io/docs/human-interf ... conography

Still championing the caliper as a metaphor for the freecad icon. Anyone have a contender?
regis

Post by regis »

dublya wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 pm Some crystal clear info in the elementary os's Human Interface Guidelines section on Icons: https://elementary.io/docs/human-interf ... conography
Certainly beyond any shadow of a doubt elementaryOS is one super sleek great elegant distro. Serious attention to detais is being paid onto it's UI reminescent of Mac. There is definitely lots that can be learned and inspired from them.
dublya wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 pm Still championing the caliper as a metaphor for the freecad icon. Anyone have a contender?
Why don't you come up with a design proposal? We would love to see the idea that's boiling up on ur side. certainly if u got an elemental taste, ur must surely have a good design feel ;)
regis

Post by regis »

dublya wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:36 pm Both blender and akira are fully open and free software, forever, but the word free or libre is no longer necessary, it's implied. Of course we are free and open source, like all the best software. It's understood. Not to say that libre should not be clearly stated in a tagline, just that it doesn't have to be part of the name anymore.

So with these thoughts in mind, Im suggesting we begin to consider a new name along with the new mark and icon.

One name that keeps coming to mind, again seeing it along side Blender and hopefully Akira, is this:

Modeler
Your free and open 3d modeling app, formerly known as FreeCad

Or maybe Modelo

modelerapp.org and modeloapp.org are both available.
Been pondering about some of the trail links u've been sharing and giving it more thoughts....and experiments.
something came up Cadabra (i got it from abracadabra magical because free-cad handles lots of fields like magic)
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

regis wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:33 am something came up Cadabra (i got it from abracadabra
There's already something by the same name in the Ubuntu Software Center. Here is their website:
https://cadabra.science/