NaviCube: improved style

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: NaviCube: improved style

Post by Jee-Bee »

PrzemoF wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:18 pm UI option to edit the text? I want to see North instead of BACK ;)
If we have the option to change that the view buttons should change too because i could set north for front...
but also front is YZ plane
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 20.03.50.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 20.03.50.png (12.46 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
efyx

Post by efyx »

For sure navigation arrows should be improved - enlarged field of clicking, right now it is only point on arrow not whole.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Navicube is so cool but I still miss:
  • preference option to set the global size of the widget (with HDPI screens default size is so small)
  • individual buttons (as the style ask for they may be circle buttons) for "zoom selection", "zoom to fit" and "reset view"
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

PrzemoF wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:18 pm UI option to edit the text? I want to see North instead of BACK ;)
The labels should be translatable, like most of FreeCAD's GUI.

I also do not like uppercase.
tyszja

Post by tyszja »

I'm using FC for a week or so now and I'm not familiar with the source code yet good enough to make the requested features, thus I only tried making saner default looks for the naviCube. Now it seems to me that without things being configurable it will be hard to make everyone happy and agree on something.
It's good to know other people's needs though. However I might not be able to provide you the missing features... at least for now, not sure if ever.

It seems to me that the adjustable widget size (and transparency/contrast?) might be the most important missing piece especially for High DPI screens. I can Image that the Cube may render to small on those, making it unusable or depending on user's eyesight it may seem to light or transparent. It shouldn't be that hard to implement these I think. The second item would probably be those configurable labels. But this one can be tricky depending on how far we want to go with it and have consistent naming all over the place (incl. translation support). Maybe this one could be broken down into a few smaller, incremental steps: 1st - translatable and/or consistent labels with other modules, 2nd - option for custom labels, 3rd - option for custom global world directions (used by cube labels and other modules). Regarding additional buttons for the multitude of available view commands - I would rather stick to the current single menu button to keep it clean and tidy.

I'll see if I can invest more time into this. But again I won't promise anything as I might just prefer using the tool rather than making it fit everyone's visual taste and needs. ;)

Regards.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Do not try to make everyone happy - that will never happen here. If your version is better than what's in the master branch that's good enough to try to get it included.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

PrzemoF wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:31 am Do not try to make everyone happy - that will never happen here. If your version is better than what's in the master branch that's good enough to try to get it included.
True
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think we all agree that @tyszja's version is better than the current one, so I'll merge it already. Then, who is brave enough to tackle this further, please do ;)
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

tyszja wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:41 pm Which one is more readable to you? To be honest, I can't tell which one looks better.
+1 for associate one image per face

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The text of the new style looks totally crappy on Windows because the letters are intersecting. The text didn't look good with the old version (because it's not smooth) but now this is clearly a regression.
navicube.png
navicube.png (5.06 KiB) Viewed 2021 times