[Solved] (Bug) Problem running the dependency checker

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

vocx
Veteran

[Solved] (Bug) Problem running the dependency checker

Post by vocx »

I installed OpenFoam as indicated here https://openfoam.org/download/6-ubuntu/ The installation seemed to go well, as I could run the example and visualize the result in paraview. However, in FreeCAD, the CfdOF dependency checker seems to not detect the components correctly.

If I use FreeCAD 0.18.1, with Python 3, installed from the freecad-stable PPA, I get this error.

Code: Select all

import CfdTools
CfdTools.checkCfdDependencies()

Checking CFD workbench dependencies...
Checking FreeCAD version
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ecc/.FreeCAD/Mod/CfdOF/CfdPreferencePage.py", line 159, in runDependencyChecker
    msg = CfdTools.checkCfdDependencies()
  File "/home/ecc/.FreeCAD/Mod/CfdOF/CfdTools.py", line 685, in checkCfdDependencies
    gitver = ver[2].split()[0]
IndexError: list index out of range
The error is due to the way CfdOF checks for the version of FreeCAD.

ver = FreeCAD.Version()

print(ver)
['0', '18.1', '', 'https://code.launchpad.net/~vcs-imports/freecad/trunk', '2019/04/06 19:19:55']
The checkCfdDependencies() function tries to parse the git version number, that is, the third element in the list, but since this string is empty, it fails.

On the other hand, if I use a development release of FreeCAD 0.18, which has a git number, it works.

ver = FreeCAD.Version()

print(ver)
['0', '18', '16093 (Git)', 'git://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git releases/FreeCAD-0-18', '2019/03/12 13:38:07', 'releases/FreeCAD-0-18', '690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce']
This is the version that is currently in the freecad-daily repository, which hasn't been updated in a while. As you can see, the "stable" release produces a shorter list of strings than the development version, and doesn't include the git revision.

I think the checkCfdDependencies() function also does something like int(ver[1]). This also fails because the second element of the list is not an integer, but a float. That is, it tries to convert the string "18.1" to an integer and it fails. It works correctly if the string is "18", as in the development version.

So, I think these checks need some try: except: blocks to check for different styles of the version returned by FreeCAD.Version(). In particular, the check shouldn't fail with the "stable" version; it is disconcerting if a check seems to fail with software that is supposed to be "stable".

try:
    check if version is "18" with git commit "1246"
except:
    parse another way to get "18.1" with no git commit
else:
    assume the version is correct
---------------

Another issue. If I use the checkCfdDependencies() in the development version, 0.18, 16093 (Git), with Python 2, the output looks fine. The end of line characters are correctly recognized so the output is correctly spaced.

Checking FreeCAD version
Checking for OpenFOAM:
Running  echo $WM_PROJECT_VERSION
Raw command:  ['bash', '-c', 'source "/opt/openfoam6/etc/bashrc" && echo $WM_PROJECT_VERSION']
Running  cartesianMesh -help
Raw command:  ['bash', '-c', 'source "/opt/openfoam6/etc/bashrc" && cartesianMesh -help']

Usage: cartesianMesh [OPTIONS]
options:
  -case <dir>       specify alternate case directory, default is the cwd
  -fileHandler <handler>
However, if I use the "stable" version 0.18.1, with Python 3, the output is not parsed correctly. It seems that the output of the external commands is not interpreted as text, but as binary data. In this case, the end of line characters '\n' are shown in the returned string, and the entire output looks badly formated.

Checking FreeCAD version
Checking for OpenFOAM:
Raw command:  ['bash', '-c', 'source "/opt/openfoam6/etc/bashrc" && echo $WM_PROJECT_VERSION']
b'6\n'Error parsing OpenFOAM version string b'6\n'
Raw command:  ['bash', '-c', 'source "/opt/openfoam6/etc/bashrc" && cartesianMesh -help']
b'\n'b'Usage: cartesianMesh [OPTIONS]\n'b'options:\n'b'  -case <dir>       specify alternate case directory, default is the cwd\n'b'  -fileHandler <handler>\n'b'                    override the fileHandler\n'b'  -hostRoots <(((host1 dir1) .. (hostN dirN))>\n'

The output strings appear as b'something\n'; the newline is not actually used in the console.

I believe checkCfdDependencies() internally uses subprocess to run the tools in the command line, but maybe some options aren't correctly set up, so the output isn't being displayed correctly when run in Python 3.

---------

And finally. Paraview is not detected by checkCfdDependencies(). Not with the 0.18 development (16093) nor with the 0.18.1 stable version.

It was correctly installed. As I said, I can run the examples.

which -a paraview

/opt/paraviewopenfoam56/bin/paraview
It seems checkCfdDependencies() internally uses distutils to check for the presence of paraview, but it's not being found.

paraview_cmd = "paraview"

# Otherwise, the command 'paraview' must be in the path - test to see if it exists
        import distutils.spawn
        if distutils.spawn.find_executable(paraview_cmd) is None:
The other external commands seem to be found by running the name of the executable through runFoamCommand(), which internally uses subprocess. It seems runFoamCommand() first sources the OpenFoam resource file that sets up the environmental variables, and then runs the program, for example:

So, again, maybe there should be a try: except: block. If the distutil.spawn check fails, it should try loading the resource file and running the paraview executable inside /opt.

Running  paraview
Raw command:  ['bash', '-c', 'source "/opt/openfoam6/etc/bashrc" && paraview']
Something like this

try:
    distutils.spawn.find_executable(paraview_cmd)
except:
    runFoamCommand(paraview_cmd)
---------

In this thread I'm only talking about the dependency check in the CfdOF preferences window (Edit -> Preferences -> CFD); I haven't checked if the actual operation of CfdOF fails because of this. Everything, OpenFoam, Paraview, cfMesh, and HiSA seem to be correctly installed. So, it is a case that the everything is installed but the software still reports problems. I think the dependency check should be more robust so as to not confuse new users that want to start using CfdOF.
Last edited by vocx on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Syres
Veteran

Re: (Bug) Problem running the dependency checker

Post by Syres »

I believe the packaging team have been changing at the very least the Windows 0.18.1 version (I'm sure all OS will be brought into line) so now the version output is as follows:

ver = FreeCAD.Version()
print(ver)
['0', '18', '16110 (Git)', 'git://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git', '2019/04/04 13:42:43', '(HEAD detached at upstream/releases/FreeCAD-0-18)', 'f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40']
Therefore my Dependencies check passes with No Missing Dependencies as expected.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at upstream/releases/FreeCAD-0-18)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Syres wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:41 pm I believe the packaging team have been changing at the very least the Windows 0.18.1 version (I'm sure all OS will be brought into line) so now the version output is as follows:

ver = FreeCAD.Version()
print(ver)
['0', '18', '16110 (Git)', 'git://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD.git', '2019/04/04 13:42:43', '(HEAD detached at upstream/releases/FreeCAD-0-18)', 'f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40']
Is this the daily image or is it the stable ("final") build? Because as I said, the daily build seems to show the information "correctly" (or as usual). It was only the stable build the one that had this problem.

Also, kkremitzki has noticed this and would like to discuss the best approach Patching to display 0.18.1 & the topic of git commits/patch versions.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

vocx wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:51 pm Is this the daily image or is it the stable ("final") build? Because as I said, the daily build seems to show the information "correctly" (or as usual). It was only the stable build the one that had this problem.

Also, kkremitzki has noticed this and would like to discuss the best approach Patching to display 0.18.1 & the topic of git commits/patch versions.
I wasn't aware there was a 'daily' 0.18.1, I was always under the impression that the 'daily' applied to cutting edge 0.19.16475 etc.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Syres wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:08 pm I wasn't aware there was a 'daily' 0.18.1, I was always under the impression that the 'daily' applied to cutting edge 0.19.16475 etc.
Yes, maybe we are misunderstanding each other. What I meant to say was, that version that you shown, is that the stable Windows 0.18.1 release?

Because if it is, it is reporting the version just like the daily releases do (which before they were 0.18, but now they should be 0.19).
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

The installer 'ellipsed' in red is the one I quoted above:
Attachments
0_18_1_Install.jpg
0_18_1_Install.jpg (120.98 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

vocx wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm I installed OpenFoam as indicated here https://openfoam.org/download/6-ubuntu/ The installation seemed to go well, as I could run the example and visualize the result in paraview. However, in FreeCAD, the CfdOF dependency checker seems to not detect the components correctly.

If I use FreeCAD 0.18.1, with Python 3, installed from the freecad-stable PPA, I get this error.

Checking CFD workbench dependencies...
Checking FreeCAD version
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ecc/.FreeCAD/Mod/CfdOF/CfdPreferencePage.py", line 159, in runDependencyChecker
    msg = CfdTools.checkCfdDependencies()
  File "/home/ecc/.FreeCAD/Mod/CfdOF/CfdTools.py", line 685, in checkCfdDependencies
    gitver = ver[2].split()[0]
IndexError: list index out of range
Thanks, should be fixed. Could you check if it works for you?
However, if I use the "stable" version 0.18.1, with Python 3, the output is not parsed correctly. It seems that the output of the external commands is not interpreted as text, but as binary data. In this case, the end of line characters '\n' are shown in the returned string, and the entire output looks badly formated.

Checking FreeCAD version
Checking for OpenFOAM:
b'6\n'Error parsing OpenFOAM version string b'6\n'
b'\n'b'Usage: cartesianMesh [OPTIONS]\n'b'options:\n'b'  -case <dir>       specify alternate case directory, default is the cwd\n'b'  -fileHandler <handler>\n'b'                    override the fileHandler\n'b'  -hostRoots <(((host1 dir1) .. (hostN dirN))>\n'

I think I have corrected the character decoding, but I was not able to reproduce this issue so could you confirm whether this has sorted it out for you?
And finally. Paraview is not detected by checkCfdDependencies(). Not with the 0.18 development (16093) nor with the 0.18.1 stable version.

It was correctly installed. As I said, I can run the examples.

which -a paraview

/opt/paraviewopenfoam56/bin/paraview
Should be sorted.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:45 pm Thanks, should be fixed. Could you check if it works for you?
All three issues seem to be resolved now. The FreeCAD version is parsed correctly; the output of CfdTools.checkCfdDependencies() is displayed fine in Python 3; and the paraview executable is found.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Solved] (Bug) Problem running the dependency checker

Post by chrisb »

I have split some posts occurring here after this topic was marked as solved.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=44242
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.