NaviCube: improved style

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: NaviCube: improved style

Post by Jee-Bee »

The issue i have with this system is that what for me is front for architect(for example) could be top.
So we have for ALL faces a list of all options...

My personal preference would be Plane plus direction
XY+ for example would be XY plane with positive Z direction etc.

I think if we want it as easy as possible for everyone use current 6 options with maybe one or two more (less than 10) with last option other what activate a text bar.
tyszja

Post by tyszja »

I haven't explored FC's coordinate system. But yet it seems to me that until the world directions issue is solved globally like a unit system for all modules at once, there's no much benefit to having just custom cube labels. If there's no issue reported for it then maybe some should fill one.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

tyszja wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:31 pm But yet it seems to me that until the world directions issue is solved globally like a unit system for all modules at once, there's no much benefit to having just custom cube labels.
I agree. Like it or not, as it stands in FreeCAD, XY = top and YZ = right.

That being said, I still maintain that the labels on the cube should eventually be translatable. Autodesk products do it, the text is just a little smaller in French but easily readable. If I don't forget, I'll try to take a screenshot (I don't have any Autodesk software at home, just the way I like it ;) ).
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I don't agree.

This ismy situation

my image comes from: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html ... 02.tif.jpg
uriserv OJ.L_.2010.200.01.0038.01.DEU.xhtml.L_2010200DE.01005502.tif.jpg.jpg
uriserv OJ.L_.2010.200.01.0038.01.DEU.xhtml.L_2010200DE.01005502.tif.jpg.jpg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
This is not XY (+Z) is top and YZ +X is right.

It is just that is not the same everywhere. FC has to deal with that.

edit: The image is related to the norm for car manufacurers how to deal with coordinate systems etc.
tyszja

Post by tyszja »

NormandC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:36 am That being said, I still maintain that the labels on the cube should eventually be translatable. Autodesk products do it, the text is just a little smaller in French but easily readable. If I don't forget, I'll try to take a screenshot (I don't have any Autodesk software at home, just the way I like it ;) ).
They are translatable. Its just that the *.ts files don't have the right entries for them yet. Additionally I made the labels scale down automatically when they don't fit fully into the cube's face after the translation. They should look fine in all languages once the translation is updated.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:43 am I don't agree.

This ismy situation

my image comes from: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html ... 02.tif.jpg
uriserv OJ.L_.2010.200.01.0038.01.DEU.xhtml.L_2010200DE.01005502.tif.jpg.jpg

This is not XY (+Z) is top and YZ +X is right.

It is just that is not the same everywhere. FC has to deal with that.

edit: The image is related to the norm for car manufacurers how to deal with coordinate systems etc.
+1
Similar system is used in aviation.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

finaly someone who agrees with me.
i felt a bit alone in this case :(
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Cube.png
Cube.png (100.58 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
I noticed something familiar in OCCT 7.4 release notes.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

I still dislike FreeCAD's NaviCube. Can't it be pretty like OpenCASCADE's one? At least the text should look better (big capital letters, yuck).
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

vocx wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:44 am I still dislike FreeCAD's NaviCube. Can't it be pretty like OpenCASCADE's one? At least the text should look better (big capital letters, yuck).
+1 for that. I really like the top and bottom right one , excellent readability and highlight on mouse over. In my opinion the solid look is less confusing. If not default it should be at least an option. Just my humble opinion.
Last edited by OficineRobotica on Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica