COIL iconTheme

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
1D_Inc

Re: COIL iconTheme

Post by 1D_Inc »

Now we are working under 1D_SVG_Tools improvements.

Currently, locally:
- All pngs and base SVG files were updated to structural system.
- SVG tools now supports structural slicing.
- SVG tools will support automatic creation of *.qrc and index.theme files on slicing (in progress)
- Orange color has been slightly changed. Meanwhile, I don't like it anymore=)
- Provided icons design variation for some lost icons, like BIM, Std and Nudge:
What is STD by the way?

BIM svg.png
BIM svg.png (114.93 KiB) Viewed 2146 times

After we will complete job with code, we will make SVG tools demo release with single COIL_LAS theme,
to provide ability to manage stuctural position of lost icons.

I guess, it will be ready pretty much soon, we will report it here.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

STD is for Standard, it is the prefix of all the tools that are not part of any workbench (File Open, Cut, Paste...)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

yorik wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 am STD is for Standard, it is the prefix of all the tools that are not part of any workbench (File Open, Cut, Paste...)
Aww, got it.
I always thought it stands for STuDy, and that's why there were so much hammers...
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

ArchWindow tool and the BIM icon with double windows involves also doors. Maybe these icons should include a reference to doors...
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bitacovir wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:09 pm ArchWindow tool and the BIM icon with double windows involves also doors. Maybe these icons should include a reference to doors...
There has been discussions on the Arch forum about creating a particular Arch Door tool and icon for doors, as it is "weird" that the Arch Window tool is used for both. This is in the framework of separating the "construction" of shapes, from their "logical object" (door, window, slab, roof, etc.). See Discussion: Arch generators - naming.

So, getting a new Door element is just a matter of time. The big issue is defining how to split those two uses (construction and semantic).
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

bitacovir wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:09 pm ArchWindow tool and the BIM icon with double windows involves also doors. Maybe these icons should include a reference to doors...
Yes, but the issue is a bit deeper.
The problem is that it will be good to mark all BIM icons with the same feature, like same color, or same sign, or same style, etc.

But

I don't feel need in marking all BIM items with IFC swastik, mostly because IFC is just part of BIM (BIM is hyperonym to IFC),
and IFC sign will be relevant to IFC tools, that have to present in any BIM application.

So

There is still problem to design BIM icons as part of BIM and part of, for example, Openings simultaneously, distinguishing both BIM and not-BIM versions of openings. Currently it is solved like this: Solid house (as BIM sign) with appropriate feature marked in it (as levels, windoors etc in it)
Looking clean and recognisable.

Well

There is also problem, that house mark as BIM conflicts with house marks as Building and Browser's Home. I made them visually different, but I'm not entirely sure © in such kind of solution.

BIM_SIGN.png
BIM_SIGN.png (54.65 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

A bunch of Euler diagrams:
IFC_Euler_Diagrams.png
IFC_Euler_Diagrams.png (68.44 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

1D_Inc wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:46 pm There is also problem, that house mark as BIM conflicts with house marks as Building and Browser's Home. I made them visually different, but I'm not entirely sure © in such kind of solution.
Maybe you can use the letters BIM or IFC in the icons if the bim logo is a risk.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

bitacovir wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:05 pm
1D_Inc wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:46 pm There is also problem, that house mark as BIM conflicts with house marks as Building and Browser's Home. I made them visually different, but I'm not entirely sure © in such kind of solution.
Maybe you can use the letters BIM or IFC in the icons if the bim logo is a risk.
I would like, but I planning to reach 16px readability, so letters are not the case, only if entire icon will consist from it.
Already think about how to get rid of DXF and SVG texts in techdraw export)
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

triplus wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 pm
https://github.com/triplus/1D_SVG_Tools/tree/Structure

Structure branch is used for the PR. Click on the Clone or download button and select Download ZIP option. After extracting the archive everything should already be in place for compiling. Point the rcc tool to qrc file(s) and test the resulting .rcc files after.

P.S. Fingers crossed!
Well, here is next step - COIL_LAS.
We will place it on github, but it is already available in dropbox.

It contains
- BASE structural archive with single SVG and multiple PNG as input.
- SLICE structural archive with sliced icons.
- Compiled RCC

We placed some lost icons into Lost folder, so now we need those icons placed in appropriate folders to form final structure,
in form of rearranged SLICE archive.
1D_Inc

Post by 1D_Inc »

Addon and files has been updated
https://github.com/formjune/1D_SVG_Tools

Now FC_COIL_LAS_SLICE files must be rearranged