Ticket #4014 - Finding a solution for the 'version.h' issue

This subforum is specifically to discuss packaging issues on different platforms (windows, mac, linux), and using different packaging systems (conda, etc...)
Kunda1
Veteran

Ticket #4014 - Finding a solution for the 'version.h' issue

Post by Kunda1 »

alberich wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:46 pm Sorry. Not solved. Latest build

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Why can't we see your 0.19 revision number? How are you building 0.19?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
alberich

Re: [ReOpened] missing addon manager

Post by alberich »

This is freecad-daily. It's the version updated as of 22 June AM. I don't know why the version number isn't complete. They've been that way for a while. I just posted what the "Copy to Clipboard" gives me.

I was going to do a post to ask why that was happening when this AddonManager issue distracted me. Others are also having the version number truncated. Cf., e.g., the OP in this thread.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

There has been the absence of the revision number from day 1 of the 0.19 Daily builds. I have been just using the date/time stamp (NOT copied with the rest of the info in help > about), to identify the build. Addon manager has been missing for a few days now and is still missing with -

** Release date 2019/06/21 21:21:27 **

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm Edit: in regards to the missing revision number.. this needs to be elevated to a higher priority.
Priority++ in issue #4014 ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

openBrain wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:28 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm Edit: in regards to the missing revision number.. this needs to be elevated to a higher priority.
Priority++ in issue #4014 ;)
Wow, i forgot about that. Thanks @openBrain!
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm Wonder what this is pending on? Perhaps @sgrogan can shed some light here?
kkremitzki has merged the fix now, the next build should have it.

For the version info, since kkremitzki has upgraded the PPA packaging, the PPA builds automatically. In the past I, or NormandC before me would manually create the version.h file and push to Launchpad, then manually trigger the builds. We've tried many things, all unsuccessful, over the last at least 5 years. The conclusion so far is automated builds without version info, or partial manual builds with version info. It's the same problem we see for some other distros when the version info isn't reported correctly.
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:43 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:27 pm Wonder what this is pending on? Perhaps @sgrogan can shed some light here?
kkremitzki has merged the fix now, the next build should have it.

For the version info, since kkremitzki has upgraded the PPA packaging, the PPA builds automatically. In the past I, or NormandC before me would manually create the version.h file and push to Launchpad, then manually trigger the builds. We've tried many things, all unsuccessful, over the last at least 5 years. The conclusion so far is automated builds without version info, or partial manual builds with version info. It's the same problem we see for some other distros when the version info isn't reported correctly.
Thanks @sgrogan for the hint.

Didn't know that we didn't find an automated process for this. I thought that was taken care of. Is there a thread somewhere to track the issue?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:45 pm Is there a thread somewhere to track the issue?
It's scattered everywhere. It comes up by accident in threads like this one. Might be good to create a sticky in the packaging sub-forum?
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:53 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:45 pm Is there a thread somewhere to track the issue?
It's scattered everywhere. It comes up by accident in threads like this one. Might be good to create a sticky in the packaging sub-forum?
:+1:
Kunda1
Veteran

Finding a solution for the 'version.h' issue

Post by Kunda1 »

This thread is dedicated to consolidating all previous conversations around automating the revision number of FreeCAD (especially for the PPA on Launchpad). The discussions are scattered throughout different threads on the forum.
Case in point: issue #4014

Edit: bahh..i was hoping i could re-order posts so that this one would show up at the top. But I can't. I may have to manually edit the first post. Still learning this moderation thing :confused: