Looking for Graphics Designer for GDML workbench.

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: Looking for Graphics Designer for GDML workbench.

Post by keithsloan52 »

Tried accessing project links on https://home.cern/news/news/computing/m ... chnologies
and got authorisation errors even when logged in. My account is a lightweight account apparently

Even trying to report the issue by account management support I get authorisation errors only option seems to be to phone them
Service Desk (phone +41 22 76 77777) which could be expensive. Any other ideas?

You would have expected better from CERN.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Okay I phoned and got an email address to send things to.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:26 pm OK I'll do those next then
what about the WB icon like this?
gdml-icon.png
gdml-icon.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
I'm not a designer, so please feel free to do whatever you think to improve the svg result :D
GDMLWorkbench.svg
(9.1 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
PS I got the idea from a fast web search
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

@ jmaustpc said he was going to produce one, so will at least wait to see what he comes up with.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi guys, I have sorted it out but I keep getting distracted from finishing it. :)

I found their icon so I am making something similar, I'll post something later today, it's early morning here. :)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

If I am understanding correctly GDML is basically an XML geometry description format that is used by Geant4 but is intended to be able to be used by any application. So I am a little confused how you are implementing this is FreeCAD, are you making both a Geant4 WB and a GDML WB or are you aiming to integrate them into one wb?

Will GDML be likely to be used elsewhere realistically or used elsewhere with FreeCAD?

What I had thought up was a stylised version of an icon similar to the GEANT4 logo at the top of their web page, here.....
http://www.geant4.org/geant4/

So I made this, its a bit of a quick whacked together so of thing, so you may well want it tidied up but for Geant4 WB at least ....
preferences_geant4.png
preferences_geant4.png (1.7 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
and the svg file
preferences-geant4.svg
(21.07 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:21 pm what about the WB icon
I agree that it seems reasonable that for most WBs the preferences and WB icons should be the same. :)
keithsloan52 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:54 pm I have added GDML preferences
If you want something specifically for GDML rather than Geant4, I had a few thoughts. What really basic things stand out and represent GDML at least within a FreeCAD context? ...for me perhaps the more obvious are that the solid primitives are strangely complex compared to the common CAD CSG primitives and the pinkish colour we have chosen to represent them.

So I was thinking of either
1) picking one of the more interesting primitives icon or
2) using the Geant4 style one above but recoloured into the same pinkish of the icons.

1) is better if GDML is likely to be used much for none Geant stuff but 2) is better if the main/most common use of GDML will be Geant as it implies a link between the two.

for 1) I was thinking perhaps one of these two?
GDML_Polycone_mauve_blackline.png
GDML_Polycone_mauve_blackline.png (2.16 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
GDML_Polyhedra_mauve_blackline.png
GDML_Polyhedra_mauve_blackline.png (4.22 KiB) Viewed 1355 times
for 2) I will be back
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

for 2) perhaps something like this?
preferences_GDML.png
preferences_GDML.png (1.69 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
and the svg file
preferences-gdml.svg
(21.19 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
what do you think?

Jim
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:07 am If I am understanding correctly GDML is basically an XML geometry description format that is used by Geant4 but is intended to be able to be used by any application. So I am a little confused how you are implementing this is FreeCAD, are you making both a Geant4 WB and a GDML WB or are you aiming to integrate them into one wb?

Will GDML be likely to be used elsewhere realistically or used elsewhere with FreeCAD?

What I had thought up was a stylised version of an icon similar to the GEANT4 logo at the top of their web page, here.....
http://www.geant4.org/geant4/

So I made this, its a bit of a quick whacked together so of thing, so you may well want it tidied up but for Geant4 WB at least ....
preferences_geant4.png

and the svg file
preferences-geant4.svg
The FreeCAD_Python_GDML source repository is for the GDML workbench which is all about viewing/editing/creating GDML files. You are correct a number of applications use GDML namely ROOT, Geant4 etc.

The FreeCAD_Geant4 source repository came about because I was not sure if I could implement everything things without resorting to using the Geant4 and Geant4 Python library. One would need to do some further testing but parsing a GDML file via the Geant4 library did not seem very quick. Installing the Geant4 library and supporting python library from source is not trivial, you cannot just do an apt-get install of a couple of packages so, the GDML workbench has this as big advantage over Geant4. The plan going forward would be to investigate the possibility running and viewing simulations under FreeCAD bit like FEM workbench does for FEM. This may or may not be possible, they both use Inventor I believe and in testing a number of things the Geant4 library was opening a non FreeCAD window alongside the FreeCAD ones.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Like the Geant4 icon.

If I go look at a number of my stored bookmark links for GDML the common theme is a wire frame globe.

e.g. http://lcgapp.cern.ch/project/simu/fram ... manual.pdf
http://gdml.web.cern.ch/GDML/

But that maybe more of a CERN symbol than GDML